cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally giving up with this router >.<

SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

Finally giving up with this router >.<

After a year or so of frequent cutting out, dropping wifi, random resets and finally hiding itself from all my devices (mildly spoiling some NYE shenanigans in the process), I've decided it's time to ditch the plusnet hub one and get something else.

I came to this forum looking for ideas for a replacement, but have noticed that there is a new router in town. Given my own router is giving me such trouble over such a long period of time, would plusnet upgrade me to the new one without renewing my contract (I've only recently renewed)?

Or if not, which fibre-compatible router would you lovely people recommend? I'd rather not get second hand.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Finally giving up with this router >.<

@SpicyPineapple 

Recommendations are dependant on your budget and requrements.

For example have you a large property, do you wamt a guest network, do you want it to run a VPN etc.?

You could ring the Plusnet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and see if they will give you a Hub 2.

Alternatively I believe that they will start selling them soon for £99 plus P&P. You could of course overcome your resistance to second hand and get a BT Smarthub  or Smarthub 2, which have the same WiiFi performance for a fraction of this price.

Of course, if your problem is not just poor wireless performance then spending shed loads of money is unlikely to make a jot of difference.

Why not start again and give us the full story in case there are other solutions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SpicyPineapple
Dabbler

I've also read that some of the BT routers are locked to BT and wouldn't want to buy something I can't use. Unless this isn't true?

No VPN, just the usual games/streaming/browsing/etc. Coverage doesn't need to be amazing, no thick concrete walls or anything. Something with similar spec as the plusnet hub would be fine. I know nothing about routers so am struggling with knowing where to start.

This has been over a year of various issues that I'd hoped would be finally over with the recent firmware update but it was not to be. Far far too much to put in one post, suffice to say I want a new one.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I've also read that some of the BT routers are locked to BT and wouldn't want to buy something I can't use. Unless this isn't true?

BT routers are only locked to BT Group companies. So they will work on Plusnet and EE as well as BT Retail

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@SpicyPineapple Your needs sound similar to mine. I took Baldrick's advice and setup instructions last year, bought HH6 on Gumtree for £15, never looked back. In fairness Hub One had inferior performance but worked OK and I keep it as a backup. However, I had no breaks in service so again you should take Baldrick's advice and post your full stats as you may well have other problems which the experts here can pick out.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@SpicyPineapple 

PlusNet are not handing out HubTwo's willy nilly so it's pot luck if you can convince them to supply one. How long ago did you re-contract? If it's really recently they may.

The HubOne is a re-badged BT HH5. Since then BT have the HH6 (sometines called the SmartHub1) and the SmartHub2. The PlusNet HubTwo is basically a SmartHub2.

If looking to buy second hand I believe Business versions are best.

Brian