cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband. Router cuts mobile connection (at certain times of the day)

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Fibre broadband. Router cuts mobile connection (at certain times of the day)

@brainarm 

That is not normal. Are the lights on the hub changing when the signal drops?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Fibre broadband. Router cuts mobile connection (at certain times of the day)

@brainarm 

As stated by @Baldrick1 you need to either use a wired connection or Factory Reset to start using WIFi again if you turn it off.

You spoke about getting back to the speeds you had previously. When checking your speed you should always use a wired connection to eliminate any WiFi glitches. It's the wired speed that PlusNet would check if they consider there may be a fault.

You can check what you should be receiving using this link

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

brainarm
Dabbler

I have been monitoring the connection on my mobile and it seems to be fine. The router never flashes or its led changes colour. I guess the problem was probably due to the distance from the router with these new settings. I'll keep an eye on this.

Thanks

brainarm
Dabbler

Thanks for all

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @brianarm and I'm glad to hear that things are looking better now. If you have any further issues at all, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
brainarm
Dabbler

Hi everyone, I kept an eye on my connection and it worked perfectly for some days. 👌 I connected my computer and mobile and the mobile never got disconnected this time.
However, since when my wife returned from a vacation and tried to connect her mobile, both hers and mine get continuously disconnected. That's very strange!

And of course, after modifying the router settings in the way you suggested I have not changed it back.

P.S. Troubles and strife they say...  😂

brainarm
Dabbler

Some extra info that I hope could help to fix this problem.

Since I have changed the settings as suggested, I see two networks and I am not sure which of the two I should connect my computer to (I don't know if that would affect the mobiles' connection performance).

Of course we have connected our mobiles to the "5Ghz" one, but it seems like if when I disconnect one mobile the other mobile connection is more stable and strong.

The router light is always blue and never flashing.

BTW, now I am not switching the router off anymore when going to bed. So, as you suggested, I carried out a couple of speed tests and here are the results from two different websites:

Ping    Download    Upload

6 ms   36.92 Mb/s  8.52 Mb/s

7 ms   35 Mb/s       8.3 Mb/s

Thanks in advance for any help.

Baldrick1

@brainarm 

Now that you can see both networks you should try each band and use the best, this might not be the 5 GHz one. The password is the same for both.

Another thought, if you log in to the hub you will see the version of firmware currently installed. Can you tell us the last 4 digits? It’s possible that you have missed some updates due to you previously switching it off when not in use.

Moderator and Customer

brainarm
Dabbler

I thought we made the 5 GHz for the mobiles... Am I wrong?

However, I am now trying to connect the mobiles to the previous one (on our mobiles it is shown as 2.4 GHz), and the problem persists. So, I have just tried to connect one mobile to the first and the other to the latter. This way the two connections seem to be stable, but I have to monitor them for longer. I'll let you know.

BTW, on the mobile connected to the 5GHz should I choose the 5G option from the settings?

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Another thought, if you log in to the hub you will see the version of firmware currently installed. Can you tell us the last 4 digits? It’s possible that you have missed some updates due to you previously switching it off when not in use.

Here are the last four digits: 89.1.3  (last updated 14/12/21)

Thanks for your help

Moderators Note: Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum rules

Baldrick1

@brainarm 

The 5GHz band is capable of faster speed, is less congested but has a shorter range, nothing to do with mobile phones.

You select which band to use by selecting the appropriate SSID in your phone available wireless networks page. There’s nothing to change in the hub settings.

Your hub is using the latest firmware, which is good.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer

brainarm
Dabbler

Thanks.

I am noticing that when I connect to 5Ghz and I am in the other room it disconnects continuously. It's really impossbile to use it...

I am wondering if I can make the signal stronger somehow without the need of buying a wifi booster.

Oddly, we didn't have such issue with the previous phones. We bought two new mobiles last October but we returned them to the seller because of that issue (believing it was due to the phones). Then we bought those that we still have and the issue is the same. In all three cases the mobiles are of the same brand (Cubot).

So, it seems like the problem is in the phones... Because of crisis, this cheap but good brand started compromising on wifi quality. However, I want to be sure that it is not Plusnet.

Baldrick1

@brainarm 

If they work O.K. on the 2.4GHz band then why fight it?

Moderator and Customer

brainarm
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@brainarm 

If they work O.K. on the 2.4GHz band then why fight it?

Sorry Baldrick1, there is a misunderstanding. They do not work properly in all cases: I have tried to connect both at 2.4GHz, then both at 5GHz and finally one at 2.4 and the other at 5 GHz, but no success.

I'll try to amplify the signal of the router by means of aluminium foil. In the meantime, if you guys have any further suggestions they are very welcome.

Thanks so far