cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP router features

Mazydizzle

FTTP router features

Does anyone know if the FTTP router I will be receiving from PlusNet will have ability for static routing or any other routing features?

If not, can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for connecting to the 900mbps service and having good network routing features?
14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: FTTP router features

Which router are you currently using?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Does anyone know if the FTTP router I will be receiving from PlusNet will have ability for static routing or any other routing features?

It doesn't! It's a typical ISP router with no advanced functionality

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mazydizzle

Not sure what router I’m getting yet
jab1
Legend

Not the question I asked, @Mazydizzle  - presumably you currently have an internet service, so which router are you using?

John
Mazydizzle

Right now I have a [-Censored-] router with my old ISP. It does basic stuff but no static routing unfortunately.

It’s a Technicolor DWA0120
jab1
Legend

OK - so if you want one that does static routing, I'll duck out of this discussion as networking is not my area of expertise, but hopefully a more knowledgable Community member will help you.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

@Mazydizzle 

The Hub Two does offer port forwarding and fixed IP Addresses. I am interested on why you need static routing or other routing features. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

@Mazydizzle if you really want a router with advanced functionality, then look at something thats capable of running OpenWrt https://openwrt.org/

Be prepared for a learning curve though!

This https://www.stephengrier.com/finding-the-right-hardware-for-an-openwrt-wifi-router/ might help, just make sure its capable of handling the 900Mb. Ideally with a quad core CPU at > 1Ghz...

I am interested on why you need static routing or other routing features. 

Likewise

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mazydizzle

So i have a complex network at home and i also have 2 ISPs which will back up each other incase of failures... So i need static routing at a minimum due to the multiple subnets i run in my home network.

i will check out openwrt... thanks!

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Mazydizzle  As has been stated the Plusnet Hub 2 doesn't do static routes or multiple internet connections.

I have a Synology WRX560 that can support 2 internet connections and static routes.  It does lots of other stuff as well, not sure I am recommending it as I had a few niggles with it to start with and have seen a few other "poor" reviews on the synology forum (mainly around mesh networking - which I don't use.)  Mine has been stable and reliable with the latest firmware updates - touch wood..!

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

That sounds more like a commercial/business connection. Plusnet have withdrawn from business services.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Likewise **2

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Mazydizzle 

Plusnet generally supply a "Hub 2" which is arguably adequate for "typical" domestic users but won't do what you want.

Draytek do dual WAN routers (29xx series) which can do failover VLANs etc. but you might do better with something like the Ubiquity UDM.

I am the satisfied customer....