cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices stop working on 5 GHz connection / Wifi drops

FIXED
Annemarie

Devices stop working on 5 GHz connection / Wifi drops

We upgraded our internet package Earlier this year, received the Hub 2 router and all was fine. A month or so ago, started noticing that we couldn't connect to the wifi in the mornings, when resetting the router it solved the problem, this only happened a few days in a row so thought no more about it. About two weeks ago, this problem started again, firstly it happened mid morning each day and the last two days it's happening two or three times a day. The wifi signal does not disappear on our devices when we lose wifi connection. If I turn the router on and off, it solves the problem until it happens again.

We both have iPads and iPhones and all four devices cannot connect to the wifi.   I work from home and my work laptop works fine on wifi when these 'incidents' occur. When I log on to the router, I notice that the work laptop connects via 2.4 ghz network and the four Apple devices connect via 5 ghz network.  Does this suggest there's interference or an issue on the 5 ghz network?

Im afraid I'm no wifi expert and the more I try and find a solution, the more it confuses me! Someone suggested changing the wifi channel but the Hub 2 is supposed to locate the best channel automatically.  Any help / suggestions appreciated, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Devices stop working on 5 GHz connection / Wifi drops

Fix

You need to split the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless networks as what you describe is a known issue when using Apple devices with the Hub One.

On a web browser, go to    192.168.1.254   and log into it.

Then navigate to the 5 GHz wireless page shown below

Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

Edit the Wireless SSID by for example appending '-5GHz' to the end of the name.

Now configure your IOS devices to connect to the new 5 GHz wireless SSID.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Annemarie

Thank you 😊

I've changed the settings and so far all working fine, internet speed also much better on iPads now.

Annemarie

Unfortunately, I was too hasty in confirming this issue had been fixed 😕 Even though I split the network so there are now two set up and the Apple devices are connecting to the 5 GHZ option, the same issue continues, happened once yesterday evening and twice today. I've restarted my iPad, tried connecting to the 2.4 GHZ network as an alternative, but the only way to get wifi working is to reset the hub each time.  I also checked to make sure the devices were connecting to 5 GHZ network which they are. Interestingly when I split the network & reconnected to the 5 GHZ network initially we could see a big improvement to internet speed but that's seems to be short lived too. Anything further we can do to resolve this?

caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Annemarie

You need to ensure that any Bluetooth is turned off.

It will kill your internet speed.

Although Bluetooth, in theory, only shares the 2.4g GHz spectrum it still dropped my speeds even on 5GHz .

Bluetooth on = between 0.5 Mbps to 8 Mbps

Bluetooth off = 42 Mbps to 48 Mbps

gamma498

I'm have exactly the same problem apart from I don't have to reset the router, all my 'I' devices just stop loading, even though they are showing still connected to the wifi. If you wait a few mins they will start loading again but it is very annoying. Android phones and Windows laptops don't appear to be affected, just apple products, surely this must be a known issue? It was ok until I upgraded to the new hub