Hooked

Re: DSL-AC88U connection problems

It is, 169.254.23.1

and the subnet is 255.255.0.0

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

That IP address tells me that your PC can't get an IP address from the router.

Make sure all the connections are secure and reboot both PC and router, then try the ipconfig command again and see if the IP address changes.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Sharky

Do you have a device you can connect via WiFi (phone/tablet ?)

That would be worth a try.

I am the satisfied customer....
mharvo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have the same device DSL-AC88U and works fine and with IPTV services from plusnet.

take a look at https://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=11&model=DSL-AC88U&SLanguage=en-us

The Quick Internet Setup (QIS) with latest firmware works fine.  Do a hard reset on the unit. and start again

using QIS and enter plusnet username and password... I am on VDSL and have 68 down and 18 up and pleased

with the service.

martinpix
Hooked

Hi did you manage to sort your problem I'm having exactly the same dilemma .

no DSL light is showing I'm pluging the DSL cable directly to my bt socket which has a separate DSL connection and seperate phone out. so shouldn't need a filter . although I have tried with the enclosed  DSL filter supplied with the Asus dsl-ac88u.

I have also tried by connecting the ac88u via the WAN port to my old bt fiber modem. again like you I can't access the setup page  I've tried typing 192.168.1.1  although it should come up automatically.

Please could someone confirm I am connecting properly and that the ASUS DSL-AC88U should replace my old router and modem I'm with PLUSNET FIBER . I am connecting the network cable to port 1 2 3 or 4 and to my MacBook Pro , but the Network light on the Asus is going on and of not a stable light as expected. Asus didn't seem interested almost like they were fobbing me off, they said no DSL light it won't work take back and exchange . like you same thing again. 

mharvo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes only connect with the Asus AC88, use the dsl port to the telephone faceplate where it is situated.

connect laptop to port 1 - 4 wait for DSL line synch on router open web browser for UI (user interface) Asus

if not type 192.168.1.1 for login page.. use QIS (Quick Internet Setup) country UK and PlusNet for fibre

from drop down menus... enter plusnet username ...name@plusdsl.net and password.

wait for authentication and you will then have to secure your wifi network with your password.

You should be online and browsing. hope this helps.

martinpix
Hooked

thanks thats exactly what i thought my 2 must be broken machines , as ive done exactly as you stated and no DSL light comes on done numerouse resets power on and off , rerset my mac etc always the same no screen , ocasionaly comes up with a half loaded ASUS paye but faded looking and all text is missing.

My current router has the same screen and im ok with settings etc, i just read a few reviews that made me think this modem router would only work alongside my fiber modem,

Nice looking device , but i have to say the Manual is [-Censored-] and no decent guides on the ASUS site either .

thanx again

Martin

Sharky
Hooked

Hi
Tried a total of 3 AC88's with the last unit being worked on by Asus tech support, with additional support from Plusnet.
Asus eventually came back saying it was a firmware issue and to either wait for an update (could not guarantee when!!!), or return the router and get the AC68 which had been out for sometime, resulting in stable firmware.

So got the 68 and it work immediately - it was a breeze to set up and get working.
martinpix
Hooked

For anyone else having the same problem.

Safari on the Mac and some other internet browsers will not display the setup page of the Asus DSL Ac88U

so before you buy or start to setup , make sure you have another browser installed I used Opera.

Goto Asus.com support and download the latest router firmware available to your computer/Mac 

plug all leads into router/modem , if you have a working modem setup as just a router initially , goto your browser in my case opera , goto setup on router/modem by entering 192.168.1.1 in your search bar . skip any pages displayed and goto administrator section and update firmware using the file you downloaded from Asus. do a hard reset on the modem/router turn it of set it up as router modem turn it back on , go back to your browser even safari should now work , and set up as you first expected , it should work as others have stated it was a firmware problem ASUS should not have ever released this with the buggy firmware , as for Asus technical support they should never have told me to go back to the shop with it and get replacement , their technical ical support workers need to learn what they are doing , this was a simple fix once pointed in the right direction, It now works perfect and is far superior to my old Asus router and bt modem , glad to now have one box. the signal is also much stronger than before no dropouts even when multiple devices are connected and pushing it hard , it just keeps going .