Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control of Firewall in Technicolor TG582n router

FIXED
MinusNet
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Control of Firewall in Technicolor TG582n router

I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre with a Technicolor TG582n router. I can see many posts about different routers so maybe I'm a dinosaur. 😁

We have purchased a Bosch oven that enables control via the Home Connect app. I am trying to verify that our WiFi network meets its list of requirements. One of these is:

>> Ports 443, 8080 and 123 must be open.

I can find no explicit control of ports in the router, and the description in the Help pages for “About Plusnet's Broadband Firewall” does not match the interface for the TG582n.

Within the heading “What do the different basic settings do?” are listed options Off, Low, and High (with some detail of ports). The TG582n gives me options of Disabled, Standard, and BlockAll (currently set as Standard).

Within the heading “What about the advanced settings?” the help describes several options that impact different ports, but I can find no such options in the TG582n interface.

Is documentation available for the TG582n, and can I meet the requirement of ports 443, 8080 and 123 being open without disabling the firewall?

If anyone is successfully using the Home Connect app within a Plusnet environment then I'd be very pleased to hear from you!

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Control of Firewall in Technicolor TG582n router

@MinusNet I can't comment about the ports question, as I've never had cause to play  with them, but the TG582N is a really old piece of kit and I bet very few people could answer the question off the top of their head.

How far off from the end of your contract are you? You might even be able to get a new modem/router for the cost of P&P if you ask nicely. 😉

John
MinusNet
Dabbler

Thanks John / @jab1 

Unfortunately I restarted my contract around January, unaware that the router could be an issue (and, to be fair, probably at the time reluctant to change something that was giving no problems).

Some things in the Home Connect app work and others do not. I have no idea of the cause and thought I'd start by checking all requirements were met.

Dave

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

In that case, too late to get a 'free' one from PN, but have a look on eBay for a BT HH6 - they are easy to configure for use on Plusnet, and MAY give you the ability to open specific ports - I don't know, as I've never used one, but there are many on here who have, and instructions are available on the 'My Router' board.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@MinusNet As @jab1 says, the TG582 is a 'bit long in the tooth'.

However, AIUI Home Connect is a server based system, both the appliance and the App connect to the server in order to communicate. This means that only outgoing connections are needed to be allowed by the router. With the router firewall set to standard , no outgoing ports are blocked and therefore there shouldnt be any problem.  So the requirement for ports 443, 8080 & 123 to be 'open' is a red herring as by default most(all) routers will not block outgoing ports. I'm pretty sure that the suppliers make this requirement so that they can use it as an excuse when things dont work! Since most users wont understand what the requirement means or whether their router is compliant, the supplier can 'pass the buck' and blame the ISP.

Ok, rant over, back to the problem.

@MinusNet  if some of the functions work then that suggests that both the App and the Appliance can contact the server.

What functions dont work and does the app give any error messages ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MinusNet
Dabbler

Thanks @MisterW 

That's reassuring. As for what doesn't work.... I think I will start with the following because it could hold the key to many others.

Please see the attachment, being a composite screen shot within the appliance settings (as viewed through the Home Connect app on my phone). The simple diagram indicates some problem with the oven connecting to the network, and the red triangle with the exclamation mark is the closest I've seen to an error message!

If I click on Details it leads to the Extended Network Settings on the right.

The first entry "Active network interface" seems to suggest that there should be a list (maybe just one entry) that could allow selection, but nothing is shown. This is a common frustration across the various settings. There are often headings and tantalising descriptions with no data / no options, leading me to wonder if it couldn't be populated because of some central communication problem.

The second entry "Connection to server" actually appears with the slider to the left and greyed out. The screen shot is to show that if I slide to the right to enable, the Save button at the bottom remains greyed out, so I'm no further forward.

Before reading your response my plan for this morning was to disconnect / switch off most things on my network (a safety precaution), briefly disable the firewall on the router, and see if that had any impact on the above / elsewhere. I think I will continue with that plan, despite your reassurance that the port controls should make no difference. I could then phone the Home Connect support number (now I've found one that isn't in Germany!) and counter any attempts to blame blocking of the ports by stating that the problems remain when the firewall is disabled.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Dave,

I can't help you with your Technicolor router but I can send you a free Hub Two that'll be both a modem & router if you're interested? This may sort the issues out you're having, if the problem is the TG582n itself. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I could then phone the Home Connect support number (now I've found one that isn't in Germany!) and counter any attempts to blame blocking of the ports by stating that the problems remain when the firewall is disabled.

@MinusNet  probably a good idea. I'd also take @Gandalf s offer of a new Hub 2 as well. It's a much better router and (I'm assuming you have Fibre) will replace both the Openreach modem and TG582n with a singe unit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MinusNet
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf 

That seems a good option, even though after 8 years of having the modem mounted on the wall with the router on the floor and cables everywhere, I've recently redecorated and mounted both units on the wall with super-tidy cables! 😁

Is there some way we can exchange private messages so I can pass you my Plusnet ID and contact details?

Regards

Dave

MinusNet
Dabbler

Thanks @MisterW 

My experiment with firewall disabled made no visible difference to Home Connect, so firewall is now back in place.

My attempt at phoning the Home Connect support number took me no further forward because, despite having selected the menu option for Home Connect support, the agent who answered had no in-depth training. He tried to help but his reference point was the oven's user manual, which is the tip of the iceberg. I've already followed all the steps in there and (according to that manual) have achieved connectivity. He could only email a request to their technical team, which I had effectively done yesterday.

Don't you love technology.... especially when connecting things together!

Thanks for your help

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@MinusNet  good to see the firewall made no difference, that's what I expected.

I'd love to be able to help more, but not having connected one myself , I'd only be working from the manual, which may not be that useful.

Is the manual available on the 'net ? if so I'm happy to take a look and see if I can glean any more info

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@MinusNet  does this https://www.home-connect.com/gb/en/help-support/pairing-finder#/Togglebox=9712986-9710736-1/Togglebo... help at all ?

MinusNet
Dabbler

Thanks @MisterW 

I had already followed those steps, apparently with success. The very limited displays on the oven itself claim that it is connected but its behaviour does not.

I have had an email response from Home Connect that directs me to (surprise!) switch off the oven at the wall, wait 10 seconds, switch on again. That took me no further forward but this afternoon I will again temporarily disable my firewall and try again.

Regards

Dave

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I have had an email response from Home Connect that directs me to (surprise!) switch off the oven at the wall, wait 10 seconds, switch on again

Ah! the standard IT support fix!🙄 If it doesnt work, turn it off and then back on.

@MinusNet  from your diagram earlier, it seems as though the App is connected to the Oven hotspot and that the oven hasn't been configured yet with your home Wifi details.

MinusNet
Dabbler

Thanks again @MisterW 

I've attached the manual, but to be honest I don't think there's anything in there to help. It refers to external Home Connect guidance, such as the help you'd found in your separate message. The Home Connect displays visible on the cooker, as shown in manual, all show that it is connected.

Dave