cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a new iphone to my router wireless network

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Connecting a new iphone to my router wireless network

My son has bought a new iphone, and wants to connect it to my wireless network. The phone will connect to other networks, he has done it. He has put my router details into his phone, but my router cannot even see the phone as a device wanting to be attached. My router is a Netgear DGN2200v4 Router. Its a bit long in the tooth, but it does the job. However, it has always been a right ******* when I want to attach a new device to it, and the instruction manual isn't much help. Anybody got any suggestions as to what I need to do to get it to connect, please?

Thankyou

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Connecting a new iphone to my router wireless network

@penneck 

Have you got this the wrong way around? The way it should work is that you go into the Iphone Settings/WiFi page where you should 'see' your Router witreless SSID, not the router 'see' the phone.

If it's not showing then check the router wireless settings in case the option to transmit the SSID is switched off.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello Baldrick1,

The phone can see the network. Its the router that doesn't mention the phone so I cannot 'attach' the phone. It isn't mentioned in the 'connected' list, nor in the 'allowed but not connected' list, nor in the 'blocked' list. The router is set to transmit the SSID - I've checked.

Ralph2010
Fixes: 1

If the iPhone can see the network you should just go to phone settings then Wi-Fi and select your network from the ones showing. You then enter the network password and the phone should then connect. There should be no need to do  any thing to settings on the router

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck 

Further to what others have said, does your Netgear DGN2200v4 have 'Access control'?  That's an extra layer of security to block or allow wireless devices to connect by checking their MAC address.

If so, and it's enabled, you'll need to 'Whitelist' the new phones MAC address in the Netgear settings.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@RobPN 

Yes my DGN2200v4 does have 'Access Control', and it is enabled, but I cannot find how to add my son's iphone to the Attached list. I cannot see his phone on any list the router seems to provide, and I cannot find a way of adding 'a new device' by typing in his iphone MAC Address into any list in the router. As for 'whitelist', the instruction manual for this router doesn't mention 'whitelist'.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RPMozley
Pro

According to the router’s user manual:
Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings > Setup Access List
And click Add, then input manually a name and the iPhone’s MAC address.

@Baldrick1 Not sure why you moved this to Router sub forum as that’s usually for PlusNet hardware or PlusNet supplied ones only. Post was moved while I was writing is all.
That's RPM to you!!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@RPMozley wrote:

@Baldrick1 Not sure why you moved this to Router sub forum as that’s usually for PlusNet hardware or PlusNet supplied ones only. Post was moved while I was writing is all.

+1  (maybe)

@Baldrick1 

The 'from' and 'to' in the 'moderators notes' are transposed too.  Wink

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@RPMozley  - on the second line of your post, you wrote "Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings->Setup Access List":-

This seems to be a case of the user manual says one thing but the router software does something else.

On the router I can find  "Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings" but I cannot find "Setup Access List".

When I go as far as I can, I see the window "Advanced Wireless Settings", whereas the user manual, in the " Set Up a Wireless Access List by MAC Address" section (page 84), not only expects there to have been a "Setup Access List" button (which I cannot find), but it then shows a window "Wireless Card Access List".

What I get looks remarkably like what the user manual describes in the section "Control The Wireless Radio" in the sub-section "To Turn the Wireless Radio On or Off" (page 82).

Its almost as if part of the router software is missing, though I would suggest the two sections of the manual contradict each other

RPMozley
Pro

Ok, if the Netgear Genie interface of your router is similar enough to my PR2000 wireless extender/travel router (I think it probably is very similar). The Access List button should appear below the WPS settings (in a small section a purple(?) button).
That's RPM to you!!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've just been on the Netgear Community website, and found a post from someone who had a similar problem to mine, with the same router. It seems his router wouldn't accept more than 15 devices. The community stated that the limit should be more than that, and that his router was faulty. They never came up with a solution - it seems he decided to replace his router.

My son's phone would be device number 16, so maybe my router is faulty (in this aspect - it seems to work okay otherwise). I will have to look to see if any of my lesser used devices are no longer needed, particularly any visitors that dont come here much these days.

Anyway, my thanks to everyone for your help.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@penneck wrote:

I've just been on the Netgear Community website, and found a post from someone who had a similar problem to mine, with the same router. It seems his router wouldn't accept more than 15 devices.

@penneck 

I don't know if this would work for you, and I stand to be corrected, but something it might be worth considering to reduce the number of stored MAC addresses below 15.

Some devices have the option of allowing you to change their MAC address, so if you know of any of your devices that have that option you could change its/their MAC address/es to be the same as another.  Ordinarily I suspect this would cause problems if both devices were to connect at the same time, but if you can choose devices that will never be in use together it might work.

Before changing a MAC address it's probably a good idea to keep a record of the original in case you need to change it back.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@penneck  Just letting you know you may have problems if the router has to use MAC address authorisation, Iphones or more correctly Apple IOS now uses locally administered MAC addresses, which can change. (it's supposed to be a security thing to reduce tracking of devices). It may be possible to disable this in the phone settings but I expect IOS will spew out warnings! 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

It's called 'Private Wi-Fi Address' and can be disabled.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'