Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect Momax lamp to Plusnet Hub 2

FIXED
Internetty
Fixes: 1

Cannot connect Momax lamp to Plusnet Hub 2

Hello

Our Hub 1 was faulty and replaced with a Plusnet Hub 2.

All devices except one connected fine.

Momax IoT lamp didn't connect. It needs 2.4GHz connection. 
I switched off 5GHz and tried mode 1, 2 and 3.
Also restarted router and device. And removed device from Momax app.

Momax app sees the new wifi network name. And is in pairing mode.
But doesn't connect even though router set to 2.4GHz only.

I go to add device and tried different pairing modes but still cannot add device. 
It set up fine on Plusnet Hub 1 router.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Cannot connect Momax lamp to Plusnet Hub 2

Hi @Internetty welcome to the forum

Perhaps you could try making the Hub One to have the same wireless name (SSID) as the Hub Two and try pairing again. Make sure you turn the Hub Two off before you try.

or

1) Turn the router off at the mains. This is to ensure all wireless signals are stopped
2) Using a mobile device create a 2.4GHz mobile hotspot that has the same SSID and password credentials as your Wi-Fi router.
3) Setup your smart device using the hotspot created above.
4) After the smart device is setup and is connecting shutdown your hotspot and turn your router back on.
This should enable your smart device to successfully connect to the 2.4GHz band of your router.

HTH

Internetty

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Internetty

Hmm. 

I tried both options and neither worked.*

I was able to choose a different pairing option - AP mode. And this allows the lamp to be connected using a local Smartlife network. The lamp is recognised and I can select this Smartlife network but then I get an error: Smartlife-xxxx cannot connect.
I tried a couple of times.

I've contacted Momax support to see if they can help. Maybe it's just faulty. But I was able to set up previously on the old router.
Now I cannot set up on old or new router (or via the hotspot you suggested). Strange.

*Edit - actually I didn't change the Hub one to the new Hub Two SSID. But I presume that's just necessary to ensure continued connection after getting connected on Hub One?

I did set up the Hotspot with the same credentials as Hub Two, and no joy. (network is seen and password accepted in app but doesn't connect)...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

That a pity.

It would seem strange the lamp doesn't connect to the Hub One using the SSID the hub came with seeing it used to. 

Hopefully Momax support will come up with a solution

Dan.

Internetty

Fix

Well - eventually got it sorted.
After reset network settings (on iPhone) and changing back to 2.4Ghz only again and restarting rerouter - nothing.
But successfully installed device on son's Android phone. And it automatically set up Alexa and added to my iPhone.

Not sure what was different. Had already tried resetting all devices, restarting and changing network to 2.4G only.
But just worked in the end. Perseverance - the joys of IT!