Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge mode - Hub2

FIXED
dejnekas

Bridge mode - Hub2

Hi

The latest  model of Hub2 offers Bridge mode that allows to use an external firewall to log in using PPPOE. I have tried to do that Cisco ASA as per Cisco's manual, but I could not establish the session.

I have tried to connect my FW to each port in that Hub2. 

Does anyone know if this should actually work?

Thanks,

24 REPLIES 24
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Bridge mode - Hub2

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

In most cases the Hub two does work in bridge mode with no problems, I can not comment for cisco products.

The PPPoE login details are:-

Broadband username or login name - yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation - PPPoE Always On
Password - The password you use for the members centre
CHAP authentication
NO VLAN is required
You connect to any LAN port (not the WAN port)

You still have access to the Hub Two event logs by connecting a standalone PC with an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range, this assume the Hub two is still using the default IP range.

From the Hub Two home page 192.168.1.254 navigate to >Advanced settings >Technical Log >Event log. Log categories WAN and PPP are the most useful.

If you are FTTP (Full Fibre) then the Hub Two is not required as the ONT is the modem, the login details above are still used.

HTH

dejnekas

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I tried this morning and no luck so far. However I have noticed that in Hub's configuration page my broadband username is different than my username that I use to log in to the Plusnet website. I suppose I should use the username from the Hub config page. There's also a password provided (obfuscated) which I don't know - is it the same as password to log in to the website?

If not, how can I find out what the password is? Shall I call to Support?

Thanks in advance.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Did you buy the Hub on line or was it supplied by plusnet? If it was bought online then it could be using the previous owners details. But in bridge mode the modem does not need the login details the router does that function.

Your broadband user name and password is the same as the account name and password used to login to the members centre. You just add @plusdsl.net to the end of the account name for the broadband login name. I would use these.

HTH

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Fix

@dejnekas 

If the hub was supplied by Plusnet then it looks like there is a screw up in the Plusnet router configuration system and you are connecting to another customer’s account. Presumably the other customer is using yours. This could be a problem if you use a different router resulting in two of you trying to use the same port.

Try a factory reset on the hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in the reset hole. Keep the switch closed until you get a green light to see if that corrects it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dejnekas

Thanks Both for your response.

Indeed I have tried using my credentials that I use to log in to the Plusnet website and it didn't work. This what I see in the Hub's config page, the username is completely different - kind of random generated. 

I received this hub from Plusnet, so I assumed it was new - it looked like new. When I tried to use that username and mine password to log in to the website, it did not work....

I will try to reset it tonight and in case it won't work I will call Support. 

Thanks for your help. I will post an update tonight.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  Not sure how you have come up with that conclusion, if the OP is using the Hub2 in bridge mode the username and password info in the Hub2 are irrelevant as they are not used. The login credentials would come from the Cisco Firewall/router. I suspect it is the configuration of the Cisco device that is the problem, I have heard that they are a bit problematical to set up.

From the Op's latest post it may just be username and password confusion.

dejnekas

Hi 

You were right @Baldrick1 ! I have just finished a call with Support and indeed this router has been used by the other user hence the old username was visible on that status page. The second problem was that it was not added to my account at all (!).

Support has added it using its serial number. After hard reset I can see my username on the status page.

Tonight I'll try one more time - I know that I have followed Cisco's configuration page so having hub added to my account and having configuration corrected on the router itself, there's a chance it will start working.

I'll post an update in tonight.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@Baldrick1  Not sure how you have come up with that conclusion,

It goes like this. If two routers address labels are accidentally swapped during the shipping process, then the two customers would pick up the connections to each others account. That might not be noticed if the two customers had signed up for the same service.

If instead @dejnekas connects using his real username via the Cisco kit and the other user uses the Hub 2 you have two customers trying to connect to the same Plusnet input port.

If this is what has actually happened then hopefully the Plusnet agent has also had the wit to correct the other account, else there might still be problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1  I know exactly what can happen if 2 users try to connect with the same credentials, it's not good but I can't see any evidence in this thread to suggest that has happened.

@dejnekas  Is your Broadband service activated? Can you connect using the Hub2 in Router (not Bridge) mode?

dejnekas

@RealAleMadrid  Indeed is has actually happened that I my hub was connected using someone else credentials.

And, yes, access to the internet works fine when Hub is not in bridge mode.

I will check bridge configuration one more time this evening. Having finally added it to my account I hope it will work as expected.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Having finally added it to my account I hope it will work as expected.

I'm afraid that will make no difference in bridge mode. The Hub does not use the credentials in bridge mode. Given that it now works in router mode with your account credentials, then the problem with the Cisco ASA is down to the PPPoE configuration, either incorrect credentials or some other configuration error e.g VLAN usage

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 Apologies, it appears you were correct, I should have read have read the thread more carefully.🙄

dejnekas

HI Guys,

All is working now! It seems that registration of my serial number at ISP did the trick. Connection has been established within seconds and now all is working fine 🙂

Thanks for your help!