Did you mean: 

Best Mesh system that works with Plusnet Hub One router

FIXED
1rtomlinson
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Best Mesh system that works with Plusnet Hub One router

Hi All

I'm looking at replacement for the Wi-FI on the Hub one as it's not great in our house.  We've started using more Wi-Fi devices upstairs so this has become more noticeable.  I was looking at implementing a Mesh Wi-Fi system but ideally don't want to have to buy a new modem/router as well.  Can any recommend anything based on their setup?  My house is only 2 up 2 down however it was built around 1900 so very thick walls etc.  I also would be happy to buy a more powerful router if that would cover the full house if someone could recommend one of them?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Best Mesh system that works with Plusnet Hub One router

I have whole home wifi, but can't compare it to others as it's the only one I've tried.
Here's a small write up I did https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/BT-Whole-Home-Wifi-with-PN/m-p/1652505
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know the merits of this one @1rtomlinson but it may be worth a look while it's on at discount.

1rtomlinson
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestions - decided to go with the TP-Link Deco M5's in the end based on reviews and a deal which eBay has on getting 20% off the price.  They've not arrived yet but hopefully they should be what i'm looking for. 

1rtomlinson
Dabbler

Fix
Just an update to confirm I've received these and set them up with the PlusNet hub (after turning off the Wi-Fi) and they are working really well giving me full coverage and consistent speeds all over the house. I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a mesh WiFi system that works with the PlusNet hub.
macaroony468

I'm also thinking of buying these, as my property also built around 1900 has very thick walls!. Can I ask what speeds you are getting, and are you using the 3 disk set? Thanks

1rtomlinson
Dabbler

Hi, yes I'm using the 3 disk set ended up with 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs, it also reaches out to the garden. The speed is consistent throughout the house as is the signal. I would recommend them, they've made a big difference.
macaroony468

Thanks, that's useful. Do you get full speeds throughout your property, or does it drop off?

1rtomlinson
Dabbler

Yes, seems to be pretty consistent certainly strong enough to stream video etc in any room.
Holly

Hiya, thanks for this. Our Deco M5 set has just arrived.

Couple of questions - how do you switch off WiFi on the Plusnet hub?
Which port on the back of the plusnet hub do you stick the first M5 unit into?
1rtomlinson
Dabbler

Hi
You need to go your router homepage, normally 192.168.1.254 then in to settings, wireless and turn off the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless.
The lan cable from the deco goes in to one of the yellow lan ports on the back.
You should be then good to go.
Thanks
Holly

Amazing thank you! It all works and it’s brilliant - our new home now has internet in every room and we can catch up on 3 weeks of Strictly!
vonnymc

How did you turn off the wifi to the Hub One?  I only seem to have an on/off switch or a WPS button.

1rtomlinson
Dabbler

Hi
You need to go your router homepage, normally 192.168.1.254 then in to settings, wireless and turn off the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless.
Thanks