cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Router - Plusnet Broadband

thanehouse

BT Router - Plusnet Broadband

I have recently requested Plusnet Fibre upgrade and waiting for Open Reach to arrange this. 

My questions: (1) I have a new Plusnet Router from Plusnet as well as a new BT Smart Hub 2 Router (don't ask!), so  when I am advised by Plusnet that my Fibre broadband service is live and that I should now connect my router, can I simply connect the BT router and continue with my Plusnet log in details?   And  (2) if this works for internet, will I have access to BT VOIP Phone Service?

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: BT Router - Plusnet Broadband

@thanehouse  Welcome to the Community forums.

Edit. 
Your best bet is to simply forget the BT Smarthub and plug in the Plusnet Hub 2,  It will self configure for you. If you want to use the BT hub, which has the same performance, then tell us whether you are moving to FTTP or FTTC 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

And  (2) if this works for internet, will I have access to BT VOIP Phone Service?

@thanehouse  in a word, No. BT Voip only works with a BT broadband account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thanehouse

Thank you for the kind reply. I am moving to FFTP from the old copper wire service.  Plusnet can not provide a Phone Service (I assume because their router is not configured for this ) and so I wondered if I could use the BT Router and the BT Phones.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I assume because their router is not configured for this

Not just that, PlusNet currently have no plans to provide a voip service.

If you want a voip service then there's nothing stopping you using a third party one. You would need either an IP phone or an ATA to use your existing phones. Retaining your existing number is very difficult ( if not impossible ) but allocating a new number is simple and some providers can cost as little as £1.20/month plus outgoing calls at about 1.5p/minute

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thanehouse

Thanks it is the VOIP service that I would like to have so my Plusnet Account will not do with a BT router and no BT Account.

I heard that you can still have a phone service through the internet and VONAGE is a company that was mentioned to me - any thoughts on this or a viable alternative?  

thanehouse

Thanks I understand  Can you suggest a VOIP service provider for home use.  Most of the ones I have found are primarily for business use or similar to WhatsApp or Skype - which I do not really want.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@thanehouse As you request, I won't ask how you came by the BT router but be aware BT expects return of its redundant kit if they know you have it, and charges £70 or thereabouts if you don't. Just in case ...

Mike

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@thanehouse 

depends on your expected use for outgoing calls.

Our go to recommendation used to be Sipgate but they, like many others, now charge around £10/month for call inclusive plans.

For light use on a PAYG basis then @bmc 's suggestion is about the best.

Vonage's residential offering https://www.vonageforhome.co.uk/plans/?icmp=mainnav|mainnav_plansandpricing_novalue#talkuk offers a 1000min for £6.99/month but does require a 12 month contract.

You would need either an IP phone or adapter and to configure it. Vonage seem to provide one preconfigured ( for £25 activation and p & p ) . A & A will provide a preconfigured DECT voip phone but its around £100