Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

Shane no  unfortunately, the controls are only presently accessed through the BT app. 

Glad you are up and running.  The BT Smart Hub2 still reboots itself every 14days, The latest firmware is v0.24.04.11017-BT

which if you do  not presently have this it  will update itself as the BT Smart Hub did.

Cedar123
Hooked

I've just got a second hand hun6 for a fiver to try. I can't get it to work. I cant seem to find an option to input my Plusnet details on. I'm using my android phone to connect so I'm getting a mobile version of the bt hub connection website.

I click on advanced settings, then broadband, then there's a page with the username with I can't see an option to change it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I click on advanced settings, then broadband, then there's a page with the username with I can't see an option to change it. 

The hub must be unplugged from the phone line before its possible to change the username. See the instructions here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cedar123
Hooked

Yea I have ithe bt hub only plugged in the main and I have disconnected my Plusnet hub
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

I have Never used a mobile to connect but

Make sure you have smart set up  tab switched to off.

but when you connect to your BT Smart hub wireless network on your phone

and you access the page to enter/change the user name from the BT one. can you not just highlight the one shown and delete it using your delete key on the mobile.  then enter yourusername@plusdsl.net and  the password you use to connect to  the member centre.  Plug the dsl line in and select the connect button.

If it does not connect and you have an odd character in your plusnet password, change it prior to using the BT Hub, the latest firmware, once connected will allow the use of odd characters only.

also try a hard reset, but keep the pin in the router reset hole for a considerable amount of time.

Cedar123
Hooked

OK I'm back at it now. Using a Windows tablet instead, i now have an option to edit the username and password. Let's see how i get on.

For future reference I was unable to do the setup on an android phone.
Cedar123
Hooked

Right I'm in and connected. That was fairly easy. I havnt had to reconnect anything as well. Just plugged my hue Bridge in and it connected straight away. Same with my phone. I thought I would have to go around the house and manually to input a password on everything.

One thing though. What is my password now for the hub6 network. Is it the original password on the back of the router, my old plusnet router password?
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Your passwords and Network name  unless you have changed them in the router settings,  will be those passwords and names  as shown on the back of the router/modem which you are using.

Your plusnet password is only used to connect to your member centre, or to connect the router to 'yourusername'@plusdsl.net  account.

Cedar123
Hooked

I'm seeing an instant improvement so far. Both kids xboxs are connected upstairs and running at 50-70mb, and most importantly the connection is stable.
I was able to achieve 70mb upstairs with the plusnet hub but I needed a booster connected. And the speed would still regularly drop to like 5mb and below.

Time will tell if the bthomehub6 can keep a decent connection at a fast and stable rate.

I phoned plusnet and managed to get £30 towards a new router as well.
mazali

I'm hoping someone can help.

I have been happily using a BT Home Hub 6 on PlusNet for the last 6 months but yesterday it  stopped working saying 'it looks like there's a problem with your broadband' and to contact BT. When I switch back to my original, old PlusNet router it connects and works properly, but obviously not as good. Any ideas why my HH6 would be causing problems? I'd much rather switch back to the HH6.

Thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Suggest a Hard reset, Making sure you keep the pin in the reset hole for longer than normal,

Do not forget to turn off Smart Set up off after reset.

then enter your  plus net settings  using yourusername@plusdsl.net and password.

only plug the dsl cable in when you are ready to connect.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-setti...

Cedar123
Hooked

Im having the same problem this morning, there must be something up. Mines been fine for ages then I got up this morning and installed the new amazon photo app and it was working. It started transferring my photos from phone to the amazon cloud thing and stopped halfway through and said there was no WiFi.

I thought it must have something to do with the app but then I checked my emails and your message popped up.

Haven you got it back on?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Cedar123 wrote:
Right I'm in and connected. That was fairly easy. I havnt had to reconnect anything as well. Just plugged my hue Bridge in and it connected straight away. Same with my phone. I thought I would have to go around the house and manually to input a password on everything.

If you did not have to connect your devices to the Smarthub wireless SSID then you are using your hue Hub (whatever that is) for your wireless, not the Smarthub.

what precisely is your hardware set up?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mazali

LifeonMars

Tried the hard reset this evening and it works. All seems good now.

Thanks for your help.

willsarson
Dabbler

Really hope someone can help me with my new HH6

I’ve followed all of the steps, many times, and read through 20 pages of other problems but I didn’t see an answer to this

I do the hard reset ok
I disable smart setup ok
I enter my username and password ok
I connect my dsl lead and hit connect

Then I get the pink ‘connecting’ message for about 30 secs and then it goes again. No errors or anything. But leaves me disconnected.

If I hit back and go back into Broadband it has saved my plusdsl username and password ok.

I just cannot connect and I don’t even get an error to tell me what I have done wrong

The hub is connected by Ethernet to my Mac and I have tried using safari and chrome to no avail...

Please can anyone help?