cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DSL-AC88u not connecting

robmackinnon93

Asus DSL-AC88u not connecting

Hi all,

I've recently switched to Plusnet having previously been with Sky for a couple of years. I have Unlimited Fibre Extra and I have an ASUS DSL-AC88u as a third party router, which I really want to have it plugged in on DSL and to handle the whole thing itself without using another router as a modem.

I bought the router second-hand, and was reassured by the seller that he had been using it without issue for a BT line. However I was never able to get it working as a modem, and from my research it seemed that Sky didn't play nicely with it. So eventually I gave up and used the Sky Hub as a modem, and let the ASUS handle the internal network. This worked fairly well and I didn't revisit it. But when my Sky contract expired and I switched to PN, I figured it was worth another go as I've seen that it seems to be well supported by Plusnet. Lo' and behold, I'm still having the same issue!

The internet works fine on the Plusnet router, but when the same RJ11 cable is plugged in to the ASUS router it just doesn't detect any connections. The DSL symbol on the router homepage stays greyed out (link down) and the DSL light on the router stays off. Quick Internet Setup times out when checking credentials - It gives me the option of retrying, which just repeats the same process, or cancelling, which takes you through to a screen saying it "failed to get IP address". I have attached some screenshots of the QIS process to check I'm not being an idiot and missing something.

I have downloaded the latest firmware and have reset to Factory Settings and tried from there, which has made no difference. I have also tried to miss out the QIS which I hear can be a bit buggy and use the settings as close as I can get them to those that have been recommended in various threads around the forum (most of them apply to the DSL-AC68u rather than the 88u, but they are more or less the same).

I'll upload a copy of my settings if I can and hopefully someone can point me in the direction of what is going wrong!

Thanks for any assistance!

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Asus DSL-AC88u not connecting

@robmackinnon93  Welcome to the forum.

I see that you have set it up as ADSL with PPPoE protocol.

ADSL should be set to PPPoA. VDSL (fibre in Plusnet parlance) needs PPPoE.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

robmackinnon93

Thanks for the response. Where are you seeing that? If you're looking at the first image where the ADSL option is selected, that's a mistake when I screenshotted it - I have been using the VDSL option which brings up the manual settings in the second image.

Is there somewhere else I'm missing?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @robmackinnon93 

This link https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1015709 might help

With the DSL led off the conclusion would be the modem is faulty

Dan.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@robmackinnon93  Apart from the first image showing the wrong option (ADSL) the settings you are using look to be correct. I do have  a couple of questions.

On the WAN1 image what are the options for WAN Type  ---- it is showing DSL/Ethernet and it can't be both or maybe the VDSL WAN box is selecting the correct mode.

On the WAN2 image what are the Internet Detection options? Not sure what this does for you.

Now I have a couple of unlikely long shots you could try, you say you have used the RJ11 cable that was previously connected to the Plusnet modem/router. Have you got the cable that belongs to the Asus? These cables are not always wired the same and can use a different pair of pins on the connector, it's unlikely but worth a try. I haven't managed to find a spec for the DSL connector (The Asus User Guide is pretty hopeless by the way)  so can't confirm what pins are used.

One other thing, probably even more clutching at straws is the ANNEX setting, confused by having one relating to the phone line which in the UK is annex A but there is an annex relating to the VDSL specification which on Openreach is Annex B so who knows which is correct.  May be worth trying but I wouldn't bank on it making a difference.

Unfortunately you may have to come to the conclusion that the modem in the Asus is faulty.☹️

Baldrick1

@robmackinnon93 

I hear what my fellow posters are saying, that is, that it's a faulty modem, but looking through the connections I am not convinced.

My suggestion:

1. Factory reset the hub.

2. Skip the Quick Internet Setup page and set it up manually using these settings   https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Repeated-connection-drop-outs/m-p/1837031#M128594

asus 1 21.jpg

3. If you are having problems with that then post those pages for us to have a look.

Moderator and Customer

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Baldrick1  Think you may have posted the wrong link, nothing about setting up a router.🤔

Baldrick1

@RealAleMadrid 

I sure did, thanks for the heads up.

@robmackinnon93 

They are here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer