Did you mean: 

Asus DSL-AC88U connected via ADSL not connecting

FIXED
1of1stuff
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Asus DSL-AC88U connected via ADSL not connecting

Hi everyone.

Im trying to connect my Asus router to my Plusnet account.

In the Asus settings Quick Internet Setup - I choose the country and "unknown ISP.

Im then prompted for a username and password which I entered (same as the username and pw used on the Plusnet account.

But it never finishes setting up.

If I quit and I'm taken to the  Asus Web UI - but no connection.

I know the user and password is correct as its the same in the (working) Plusnet router.

Any ideas please - perhaps tp set it up manually.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Asus DSL-AC88U connected via ADSL not connecting

@1of1stuff the complete settings are here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Have you got the VCI/VPI and encapsulation settings correct

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

1of1stuff
Hooked

Thanks, yes I saw that but there aren't any settings for these (that I could see)

Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

They would normally be set when you select country and isp.

But Have a look here https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1046421/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

1of1stuff
Hooked

Thank you MisterW, I had high hopes that that would fix the problem, but unfortunately not.

Can anyone help - following screen shots taken during setup.

This picture shows WAN type VDSL and says active! Im using ADSL (also shows PPPoE which is not correct according to Plusnet)

Capture 1.PNG

This picture shows WAN type ADSL and says Not active and shows PPPoA which is correctCapture 2.PNG

ADSL settings

Capture 3.PNG

DSL log

Capture 4.PNG

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@1of1stuff Your encapsulation is showing as LLC , it should be VC-MUX

Also, I suspect there is two WAN interfaces created by default a VDSL one and an ADSL one.

Can I just check what Plusnet product you are on , to make sure that ADSL is the correct setting ?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@MisterW 

This is confusing, the last screen shot show DSL modulation being VDSL2, Annex B,  Data rate of 40000 / 9997 kbps

Edit: the first screen shot shows VDSL as Active with the second showing ADSL as Not Active.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Dan_the_Van yes, very confusing, it does look like @1of1stuff is on a VDSL (FTTC) connection.

In which case the problem will be that 802.1Q is disabled in the VDSL settings, it needs to be set to Enabled and the VLAN ID set to 101

1of1stuff
Hooked

Ah - it seems I may have made a mistake our package was changed to 

Unlimited Fibre inc. Line rental

But the person we contacted at Plusnet gave us the ADSL settings, because we still have a landline.

I think I must be in between going full-fibre and ADSL only.

I see new customers can only get Full fiber but no landline (which we aren't ready for yet - we we need a couple of VOIP phones)

I'll try again with your suggestions.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 280

Deleted

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah - it seems I may have made a mistake our package was changed to 

Unlimited Fibre inc. Line rental
@1of1stuff ok, so you are on FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) , which still uses the copper line for the 'last mile' from the cabinet to your house. This uses VDSL ( Very high speed Digital Subscriber line) modulation as opposed to ADSL to give a higher speed connection.
You router has automatically detected that it has a VDSL signal but you are not getting an internet connection beause of the lack of VLAN ID. Setting 802.1Q to enabled and the VLAN ID to 101 should get it working.

1of1stuff
Hooked

Fix

Thanks everyone for your help.

In the end, I simply went back to the quick connect and selected Plusnet Fibre from the drop-down selection of UK providers.

Entered the User name and password and ha presto it connect.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@1of1stuff yup, that would have added the correct VLAN ID. When you orginally selected an unknown ISP it did not know what values to use and therefore left them blank.