cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DSL-AC56U what annex setting?

fockewulf
Grafter

Asus DSL-AC56U what annex setting?

Hi, Just switched to Plusnet FTTC and read quite a bit on the forum about settings, consensus seems to be set VDSL (I only have a VDSL2 setting) and annex B or B/J but whatever I set in admin/DSL settings the modem always shows it is on annex A in 'system log/DSL' and setting VDSL2 or Auto sync-up makes no difference.

When I first connected the AC56U I used the quick set up and it set it's self to auto sync-up and annex A/I/J/L/M

Plusnet hub connects around 4Mb/s slower than whatever settings used on the AC56U.

6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Asus DSL-AC56U what annex setting?

For FTTC, officially it should be Annex B, but Annex A is also likely to work in the UK too.  

The UK has always used 'Tone set' A for ADSL and VDSL2, whereas in Europe, they use 'Tone set' B.  Perhaps the firmware in your Asus router does not support the combination of Annex B with Tone set A, and so reverts to Annex A with Tone set A.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
fockewulf
Grafter

Thanks for the info, only thing I found about it was someone on the asus forum reporting something similar and reply was to get onto asus support about it, so I have sent a support request in to them.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@bill888 wrote:

The UK has always used 'Tone set' A for ADSL and VDSL2, whereas in Europe, they use 'Tone set' B.  Perhaps the firmware in your Asus router does not support the combination of Annex B with Tone set A, and so reverts to Annex A with Tone set A.

That's correct - it's well explained here:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14399.105.html

There's a lot of misleading information on the internet suggesting use of Annex B in the UK, but the 'bandplan' (toneset) is indeed Annex A.

I use Annex A with my Asus DSL-AC68U modem/router - it self-configured itself to Annex A when I first used it on VDSL anyway.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The post you linked to says the VDSL2 bandplan is Annex B.

VDSL2 (G.993.2) Annex A defines the bandplans for North America.

VDSL2 (G.993.2) Annex B defines the bandplans for Europe, including different bandplans for POTS and ISDN and different US0 bandwidths.

I think the term "tone set" (carrier set) should only refer to the G.994.1 handshaking tones, for which there isn't any annex to choose from, the correct handshaking tone set is A43.

Annex A may well be the correct setting for the unclearly worded Asus though.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

ejs, yes you're quite right - I hadn't actually looked at the post I linked to for some time, and my memory was rather hazy! But for whatever reason Annex A is the right setting for the Asus. In any case the OP could just let the router auto-select the Annex it is happy with.

fockewulf
Grafter

Tried Asus support and got a fairly quick reply, unfortunately they do not seem too clear on it, they don't appear to know anything about bandplans or tone set and annex combinations. They do say that if I set the annex incorrectly in the DSL settings the modem won't connect but mine connects whatever I set and then it always indicates that it is using annex A.

I left it on VDSL2 and annex A last night and notice the sync rate has gone up by 2 Mb/s today, still a long way off the max sync rate being indicated but we are about a Km from the cabinet.