Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning IP addresses

FIXED
a1k311y
Fixes: 1

Assigning IP addresses

Hi, I am having problems connecting new devices to my WiFi. Devices that have been previously connected seem ok, but new devices struggle to connect with error messages saying that they can't get an IP address.

Ive got a Hub 1 router and don't have that many things connected; about 10 devices...

Any ideas why this may be happening?

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Assigning IP addresses

Hi @a1k311y 

A warm welcome to the forums.

When you say "new" devices, do you mean brand new (recently purchased) devices, or simply old ones not previously connected to the router?

Are you certain that in reporting "cannot get an IP address" that they are actually connected to the WiFi?  I have seen devices successfully connect to WiFi (wire-shark logs all of the traffic) but not get a DHCP allocated IP address - hard code one and all works fine - though that was not a Hub One.

What level of firmware does that Hub One have?

Do you know if the devices are trying to connect on the 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi band?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

a1k311y

Hi, Thanks for your welcome and reply.

It seems to happen to any device that has not previously connected to my home network, whether that is a brand new device or not. I have worked around by allocating an IP address manually.

Not sure which out of 2.4 or 5 Ghz they are trying to connect to the router is set to mirror the settings on each.

The devices seem to "see" the router and then fail with an error about being unable to acquire an IP address. the exact error message differs by device. I'm currently trying to connect an Openspot 4 digital radio internet gateway which connects to my phone as a hotspot with no problem but just won't connect to WiFi via the router. I can't then get into the settings screen to allocate an IP address manually as it requires device and browser to be connected to the same WiFi.

I have had a static IP address for ages without any issues, this seems to be a recent thing. The router is running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3

I've logged a fault with Plunet but no response as yet.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Try allocating different SSIDs to the two WiFi bands. This can be done on the hub one but not hub two routers.

This sounds awfully similar to an issue I had on a router trial I was on - but that was not a hub one. One device connected to WiFi but did not get an IP address allocation. It could wire shark the WiFi traffic, but had no lan connectivity. Worked fine with all the other routers I had available. BTW that device worked fine with a Hub One.

What WiFi mode is the router running in?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

a1k311y

Hi,

I tried splitting the 2.4 & 5GHz with separate SSIDs but it made no difference. Not sure where to find WiFi mode?

a1k311y

Fix
I rang Plusnet who were really helpful.
They reconfigured the router and managed to get me connected. They are also sending a Hub 2 router to replace my Hub 1 which is almost 7 years old.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 100

Awesome @a1k311y glad it's all sorted now. If there's anything else you need us to do let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team