Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archer VR2100

FIXED
Technot
Hooked

Archer VR2100

Hi All, 

Returning to PN after just over a year with another provider I have been successfully using the VR2100 with a couple of mesh extenders to give a wide wi-fi signal that has been flawless.  I intended to use the router with the change over from one Fibre ISP to the other. However after several hours of trying the change over with the VR2100 I reverted to the Plusnet supplied HUB 2 router to get up and running. 

I have been in contact with Archer Technical but that hasn't resolved the issue. I have reset the VR2100 to factory conditions, used the wizard and tried manual adjustments. Just getting the X - check the line message in the Diagnostic.  

Plusnet won't /can't help they say use the account log in, set VLAD and PPPoE (always on). So I am glad at least that I ordered the HUB 2 just in case. Is "PPPoE always on" a new protocol or is that the same as PPPoE on the Archer? 

Wondered if anyone can help please and if anyone knows if it's possible to use the VR2100 instead of a HUB 2 connection. 

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: Archer VR2100

You should be able to just use the Manual setup internet connection.

Select Plusnet_vdsl from the isp drop down menu, enter your username ( <accountname>@plusdsl.net ) and password ( the one used to login to the member centre ) and that should be it.

Failing that , tell us the state of the led indicators,  particularly the dsl & internet ones

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Moderator’s Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Technot
Hooked

Thanks MisterW will reconnect the Archer and let you know over the weekend.

(I have run the Plusnet-VDSL wizard in the drop down and sleeted wireless router operation).

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 86

@Technot 

(I have run the Plusnet-VDSL wizard in the drop down and sleeted wireless router operation).

Are you Unlimited Fibre (FTTC/VDSL) or Full Fibre?

For FTTC/VDSL you would select DSL Modem Router Mode - DSL grey socket connected to ADSL filter or Filtered master socket.

Wireless Router Mode is for connecting to standalone modem such as a Fibre ONT or ADSL/VDSL modem only device -  WAN port connected to Modem

Just getting the X - check the line message in the Diagnostic

If you make the wrong selection you will get check the line message without the required cable connected for the selected operation mode (DSL Modem or Wireless Router)

For a VDSL connection you would configure as below.

DSL internet WAN setup.png

HTH

Technot
Hooked

Thank you for the reply Dan, this is on FTTP. Wireless router mode is the setting I used on FTTP Talktalk and advised by Archer. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

this is on FTTP.

Ah! my bad, I'd assumed it was FTTC. In that case as @Dan_the_Van  says , wireless router mode is correct. Make sure there's no vlan ID set as that's not needed for FTTP.

In fact I'd suggest a fa tory reset and start from scratch . Don't select pkusnet_vdsl , just do a complete manual setup  for PPPoE with your plusnet username & password after selecting wireless router mode

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

It wasn't clear to me on your first post.

You do not need to set the VLAN ID in the PPPoE settings as the ONT does that for you. Having a VLAN ID will cause an issue

Dan.

Edit: - from memory you start the quick setup, after setting up the country and time zone, select 'Other' rather than a ISP name and that assumes a PPPoE connection.

Technot
Hooked

Thanks both

I have tried with and without the VLAN set, still not working but without the VLAN set it does not even try to connect. 

The plusnet advice is in the attachment. 

Technot
Hooked

I have tried "the other method" too. I am not an expert by any means but I configured the router to the FTTP with the previous provider which was pretty straightforward forward, using the other method. Just wondering if the HUB 2 is locked down and locks the PN router IP address at the ISP server.  

Thanks for the ongoing help. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Technot  those are the settings for 'normal' fibre (fttc) . For Full Fibre ( fttp) there is no vlan I'd.

You are on Full fibre are you ?

If so , you will have an ONT and should have an ethernet cable from the ONT to lan port 4 on the vr2100

Technot
Hooked

Thanks as mentioned above either way with or without the VLAN it’s not connecting. I’ve used the BT open reach instructions just below that one too. 
yes full fibre fttp as per former isp 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It should work, there must be something wrong with the configuration of the 2100. Theres nothing in the plusnet system that's locked to the Hub 2.

I currently use a Tplink Er605 on my Full fibre 900 connection.and can assure you there's no vlan required

Is there any clues in the 2100 log ?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Provided you have selected wireless mode, Advanced >Network >Internet should be set as this.

PPPoE username.png

VR2100 WAN port goes to the ONT

Dan

Technot
Hooked

Thanks for all the help guys successfully connected with the Archer after another reset and leaving the router down over night. It was the "other" method I used with no VLAN that worked.