cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple devices connecting to Internet okay but Windows Laptops have lost connection

FIXED
visionfields
Hooked

Apple devices connecting to Internet okay but Windows Laptops have lost connection

Since Thursday (26th Oct) no Windows laptops will connect to the internet. Both wifi and ethernet cable direct into router won't connect (shows as "no internet, secured" and Unidentified network, no internet" respectively).

Apple devices seem unaffected, with both iPhones and Macbooks connecting via wifi with no problems.

Any suggestions of where to look would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Apple devices connecting to Internet okay but Windows Laptops have lost connection

Moderator's note:
Post moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Apple devices connecting to Internet okay but Windows Laptops have lost connection

Hi @visionfields
I can only guess but could it be DNS related?
The apple devices could be using Apples secure DNS whereas Windows will be using the DNS provided by the router.
Regards
Richard
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Worth checking the IP addresses of the windows devices. They should be in the range 192.168.x.x either fixed or obtained via DHCP.  If they're in the 169.254.x.x then there's a communication problem between computers and router.

visionfields
Hooked

Thanks Richard. Any suggestions how I meant be able to check for DNS issues please?
What’s also strange I can’t even connect to the Hub via it’s up address from any Windows laptop anymore. iPhone can though
visionfields
Hooked

Thanks for replying. I’ve checked and can see the laptops are being assigned an IP address in the range 192.168.x.x
But not getting through to the internet.
It’s strange the problem happened overnight, almost as if the router had a separate update that’s caused the problem but I’m not sure how to check it that took place…..
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

@visionfields 

It will be helpful to see the print out for ipconfig /all when typed in a command window. What result do you get when you use command  nslookup www.bbc.co.uk ?

There is no need to hide the devices IP address as they are private to your LAN.

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@visionfields  - Hi like @Dan_the_Van  said, ipconfig /all will help, the Default Gateway and DNS needs to be 192.168.1.254. I suspect you have other networking tech giving out DHCP addresses or the laptops have Ip addresses manually set.

Is it just the router you have or are there any, boosters, extenders, powerline adapters, switches in the mix?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
visionfields
Hooked

Thanks @James30  and @Dan_the_Van  for the pointers, and yes I do have a powerline extender (BT hotspot 500).

With ip assignment set to Automatic (DHCP) I've discovered that the laptops are being assigned ip addresses in the 192.168.10.xxx range. This still happens with range extender disconnected and laptop plugged directly into router via ethernet cable. Screenshot from ipconfig attached.

If I give the laptop a fixed ip address in the 192.168.1.xxx range it connects to the internet fine both over wi-fi and ethernet, and via the BT hotspots as well.

I've also connected to the Hotspot directly via its ip address and settings say it is getting its ip address from the router (and it is also being given an ip address in the 192.168.10.xxx range) 

Any ideas why the router maybe giving out ip addresses in the 192.168.10.xxx range please?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@visionfields 

It suspect  you have a DHCP server running on BT Hotspot, so devices connected to it will be off network to the Hub.

Are you able to turn off the DHCP server on the Hot spot. If you're not sure what model is it and I'll check.

Edit: sorry missed it's a BT hotspot 500

visionfields
Hooked

Thanks for getting back to me. I can't see anything when I log in to the Hotspot that it has a DHCP server feature. They are old and been part of the set-up for over 5 years without any issues.

Also I still get the problem if I disconnect them and just plug my laptop directly into the back of the Hub 2 router. 

And it's only effecting windows laptops. The iphone, macbook all still connect fine. Pulling my hair out...... Sad

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

Fix

@visionfields - I'd just factory reset them because there must be something not right in the first place assuming that you haven't played with any DHCP setting yourself. I've seen it a few time even from the least likely customers where randomly powerline adapters randomly start giving out DHCP.

There are other ways of setting it up such as having multiple DHCP servers giving out separate ranges of IP addresses but I wouldn't bother and just use the routers DHCP.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I would follow James advice to see if that helps.

Looking at the screen shot you attached, you appear to have both a wired and wireless connection, is this something you always do? It is advised only to use either not both.

For the Hub two the DHCP server is found here >Advanced Settings >My Network >IPv4 configuration, make sure everything is in the same address range 192.168.1.0/24 (mask 255.255.255.0)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@visionfields wrote:

With ip assignment set to Automatic (DHCP) I've discovered that the laptops are being assigned ip addresses in the 192.168.10.xxx range. This still happens with range extender disconnected and laptop plugged directly into router via ethernet cable. Screenshot from ipconfig attached.

Any ideas why the router maybe giving out ip addresses in the 192.168.10.xxx range please?

In the command mode enter:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Rather than the hub issuing the wrong ip address it is probably the computer hanging on to the old one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 412

@visionfields if that still gives an ip in the 192.168.10.x subnet, then from a cmd window issue the command arp -a and post the results. That will give us the physical (MAC) address of the rogue dhcp server ( assuming 192.168.10.1 ). From the MAC we can deduce the manufacturer and hopefully then guess what device it is...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.