cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti virus claiming router is vulnerable.

FIXED
corystes1
Hooked

Anti virus claiming router is vulnerable.

Avast anti virus is claiming my Plusnet router is vulnerable - open ports reachable from internet 7***

vulnerable to HNS-WAN-ACCESS.  Recommends opening a secure VPN.   Is it worth doing that, or is it of limited value?

If I did it is it easy to get back to the seisting setup?

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Anti virus claiming router is vulnerable.

Fix

All Plusnet routers are accessible in that Plusnet can remotely access them to update the firmware. This is nothing to worry about. A very good free test is provided by grc.com. Test all service ports with a Shields Up! scan, try it to check that all ports are stealthed. https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Personally, I take Avast warnings with a large pinch of salt - they keep telling me I have suspicious programs on my machine - when I check these claims, they are all demonstrably incorrect, it even tells me my Acronis Backup program is dangerous!Crazy

John
corystes1
Hooked

Baldrick, thanks for the shields up! link.  Using it reinforced my suspicion that a VPN wasn't much value.

corystes1
Hooked

John,  I agree, most 'services' on the internet are full of dross, but it's worth checking for the odd nugget that's in amongst it.