cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to provided routers

uvavu
Dabbler

Alternatives to provided routers

Can anyone recommend a decent router that I could buy myself as an alternative to the provided Hubs and which work well with PN FTTC?

My current Hub One has been flaky recently. I have a new one that I tried to install yesterday but ran into issues. The biggest pain with the Hubs is their lack of configurability - especially the DNS addresses. With all my devices except my phone I have had to set DNS locally as everything was struggling to connect va the PN DNS a couple of years ago. My phone doesn't allow me to set a local DNS and that still has issues via WiFi that I don't see with 4G so I am sure the problem is still there.

Another thing I miss is a lack of guest WiFi.

So I am not looking for anything too advanced - just one that is not quite so dumb. The main criteria are reliability, working solidly, good WiFi. Not necessarily looking to do it on the cheap - I'll spend extra for quality as I need this to be reliable for work.

17 REPLIES 17
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Alternatives to provided routers

Depends on your budget, TP-Link modem/routers are worth a look,

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/ 

Dan

mavison
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I use a Fritzbox 7530 on PN which I am pleased with for FTTC stability & speed - a steady 36Mb for months on end - plus a meshed repeater. Caters for guest access, Voip, dect phones, and much more.

uvavu
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

Depends on your budget, TP-Link modem/routers are worth a look,

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/ 

Dan

Thanks. I've owned various TP-Link devices like portable hotspots and homeplugs, and they seem to have been decent enough.

uvavu
Dabbler

@mavison wrote:

I use a Fritzbox 7530 on PN which I am pleased with for FTTC stability & speed - a steady 36Mb for months on end - plus a meshed repeater. Caters for guest access, Voip, dect phones, and much more.

Thanks! Not a brand I have come across before but from what I can see they get good reviews. I will look into them a bit more.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@uvavu 

Although not cheap Fitzbox have a good reputation. They also have an eco system built around them if you want things like Mesh, VOIP etc.

Zen Internet supply a Fitzbox as their standard router (not certain which model -  I think there's a newer one than the 7530). They may also be the best place to buy one. If buying elsewhere make sure you get a UK model.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@bmc wrote:

@uvavu 

Zen Internet supply a Fitzbox as their standard router (not certain which model -  I think there's a newer one than the 7530). They may also be the best place to buy one. If buying elsewhere make sure you get a UK model.

Brian

I was supplied with the 7530 13 months back when I moved, but I think new customers get a later version, although I've found my model to be extremely reliable. They are a little bit harder to follow than the Hubs, but have excellent documentation.

John
ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FWIW - I don't think you can go wrong with most models from any of the following manufacturers

• Tp-Link
  • Asus
  • Netgear
  • Linksys
  • Draytek
  • Billion
  • eero Amazon
  • D-Link
  • Huawei (as long as you don't mind Chinese spyware...lol)

It will just be down to how much you want to pay and for what features. E.g., WiFi 6/6e? Mesh ?

uvavu
Dabbler

Just catching up with new posts. I got my new Hub working so the pressure is off to buy anything quickly. I will take some time now to research options based on the suggestions here.

Thanks all.

dazgee1965
Grafter

TP Link get my vote as well.
I used one for FTTC and bought another one when I upgraded to FTTP.
Neither of them have missed a heartbeat and the new one supports WiFi 6 which is handy if you have any devices that can use it.
longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

My 2.5 year old Fritz!Box 7530 finally gave up the ghost yesterday ( presumably because of the heat in my loft ) and for the time being I've re-commected my Hub One. It's very noticeable how poor the Wi-Fi is downstairs now.

If the Fritz!Box 7530 was still available I think I'd buy another but I can only find the Fritz!Box 7530ax at a price that is too rich for my liking.

I was looking at a TP Link AC2800 but I'm trying to get an idea from people with experience of it what the strengths and weaknesses are.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I've found TP-Link devices to work well, if you follow this link you can see what the devices GUI offers.

https://emulator.tp-link.com/VR2800V1_Emulator_2017042605/index.htm 

Has a VPN Server built in is a handy feature. 

HTH 

longedge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that link. Covers pretty much everything I wanted to know. I suppose that Wi-Fi functionality depends very much on local conditions but presumably better than the Hub One.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I suppose that Wi-Fi functionality depends very much on local conditions

Absolutely, wireless connections are subject to many variables

Dan 

longedge
Aspiring Pro

i.e. the only reliable comparison is where different routers are used in the same location e.g. I know that my Fritz!Box performed better than the Hub One 😁