Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add drive to Hub One

paulscarbs
Dabbler

Re: Add drive to Hub One

Cheers Baldrick1.

The current version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 so strange it does't identify anything useful.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it recognises a small USB but there's no way of accessing anything on it.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

Looking back through the posts it appears that at that time the Hub One was on SMB v1. What we need is expert input from the likes of @bobpullen 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

This is still the case. You'd need to enable SMBv1 within Windows to be able to access the drive over the network. Not something I'd personally recommend when there are other shared storage solutions available.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulscarbs
Dabbler

Thanks Bob,

I had enabled SMBv1 but it made no difference.

I have since connected a smaller 500gb hard drive and it is recognised!

I would suggest there is a limit on the size of drive and/or the format of the drive too. Any tips?

I am aware of alternative methods of storing data but, given I already have an 8TB HDD, I wanted to utilise that throughout the home. Would I be able to do this?

paulscarbs
Dabbler

Interestingly, I can only access the drive from within my MacBook (it was a HDD used on Windows!)

I have no write access from iOS but have no visible access from Windows!

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

I wonder if your big drive is formatted NTFS.

OS X can read NTFS but not write..

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/02/enable-ntfs-write-support-mac-os-x/

What happens when you plug in the drive to the MacBook ?

I am the satisfied customer....
paulscarbs
Dabbler

Yes, the smaller 500gb drive can be read on the MacBook. Perhaps it is NTFS (not a problem to change to ExFAT if I need).

This still leaves the question about why Windows can't even see the drive?

SilverE
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Just out of interest, does anyone have the definitive answer to this? I've just (optimistically) tried connecting a 5TB NTFS GPT disk, with SMB1 enabled on my PC. The nice new Hub reports that a device is present but the "file type" is not supported.

@bobpullen only specifies that SMB1 is required - I have had always that active as my WDTVLive is an SMB1 server, so it's not just that. @markhawkin says the disk must be FAT32 - quite possible if the Hub is antediluvian, is PlusNet really putting out pre-XP devices that are 15 years out of date?? As that has a 4GB file size limit, large videos won't work on it. I'd be a bit less surprised if it's limited to 4TB, even the WDTVLIve (yes, made by WD) can't take more than that. And alongside that it probably needs to be MBR, not GPT.

I'm disappointed my drive doesn't work, though not too surprised. For anyone else trying, it sounds as if you'll probably not succeed unless it's a sub-4TB, FAT32, MBR disk with SMB1 enabled on your PC.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@SilverE l don't have the definitive answer but I strongly suspect that the disk support for Plusnet is more of an unintended function that came with original BT firmware than a required feature.

Even on my Draytek the USB disk function is extremely hit and miss. With the ever larger flash memory based USB drives obviously it would be nice to have a "free" facility for storage with a router but unless a current BT router supports this better I can't see a future Plusnet router being any better.

The average consumer seems to be moving to cloud storage for backup rather than something at home.

For many, rather than storage, turning a cheap USB printer into an Airprint capable device might be more useful.

I am the satisfied customer....
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Here's a screen shot from the help available in the Hub 1, should answer some of the questions here...

Hub 1 USB capabilitiesHub 1 USB capabilities

SilverE
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Well I did try to RTFH but I misread Help A-Z as all one item, and clicked on the A-Z part: and under U there is no mention of USB, just uPnP Sad

So the Hub should accept NTFS, but it doesn't specify a size limit, partition style or server mode (or disk sector size - another possible parameter). One of more of those stops my disk from working: prime suspect is its 5TB size. There's still a lot of trial and error.