cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHz performance has dropped off

Nacho
Grafter

5GHz performance has dropped off

I split the networks on my plusnet hub a couple of months ago and all was good. My phone's been connected to the 5GHz connection and has been solid at about 70Mbps for ages but in the last week I've noticed when running the speedtest that it's fallen to a steady 30Mbps.  No idea why.  I put it on the 2.4GHz network and it returned about 40Mbps,which is the first time that's been quicker than the 5GHz network.  So my question is what's happened to the 5GHz network?! It's set to select the channel automatically (smart wireless) but i've experimented with manual channel selection and no matter which wireless channel I pick, the 5GHz network won't return a good speed - nowhere near the 70Mbps it is capable of.

For comparison I stuck the ethernet cable in my old laptop and it returned the usual 70Mbps so I can only assume somethings gone wrong with the 5GHz network. Any ideas please...

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: 5GHz performance has dropped off

There seems to be all sorts of wireless problems with Hub One firmware xxxx.263. I don't know if that is applicable to you.

Have you tried switching off the router for a few minutes to see if restarting it helps?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Nacho 

I am not aware of any specific 5Ghz issues.

It is possible that something which is hampering the 5Ghz frequency has been set up (not necessarily by yourself, but perhaps in the frequency range) was set up/introduced around the same time that you began to notice this.

Does anything come to mind? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Nacho
Grafter

Hi both, and thanks for the replies. I see there are a couple of other posts about similar issues so apologies for creating another thread. 

For consistency I've always used the same 2 or 3 local servers when undertaking my Speedtests (ookla) and had done the same when I noted falling speeds. Last night I tried a different server, slightly further away and I achieved a much better speed test result. Not quite what I had before but much improved over the 30Mbps I had earlier on.  So i'm now wondering if Speedtest by Ookla is playing up?!  Food for thought maybe.

I shall continue to monitor and have a good read through the other threads.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Which sort of speeds does fast.com give you on your phone?

Another good one is thinkbroadband.com

It might be Ookla not selecting the best test server for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@southerner I'd take what fast.com says with a large pinch of salt. Why? Here's my result.

Fast Speed Test

Can someone pass the salt please.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Oh, ok, it usually gives me an accurate result that correlates with Ookla.