cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2704n: How to ssh or telnet into this router? How to configure name resolution services?

upthruthenite

2704n: How to ssh or telnet into this router? How to configure name resolution services?

Hi,

I have the 2704n, which I use and administer from a Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra). However, I need to configure this router in more detail than the web interface allows for.

The problem is that I am suprised by the behaviour of the name resolution services. I need to get this working predictably because I am trying to up a home network with standard name resolution technologies (primarily DNS). However, in "SystemPreferences->Wi-Fi->Advanced->WINS", I can see the NetBIOS name is set to MACBOOKPRO-XYZ1 (modified in this example). I didn't set it myself, but from reading around it seems that routers sometimes just do this sort of thing.

I have no use for NetBIOS, but for some reason it's set up and the NetBIOS name is still being reported to some of my Unix utilities. For example, it is showing up in as my hostname in my Bash PS1 prompt. I don't know how to access the configuration of DNS or NetBIOS on the router itself.

I'd like hostname resolution on my my 10.12 Sierra machine to work better. So far, part of the problem seems to the 2704n.

In summary:

1. How can I ssh or telnet in to my 2704n?

2. Is there a manual that explains how to configure it? Thanks!

Best regards,

upthruthenight

1 REPLY 1
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 2704n: How to ssh or telnet into this router? How to configure name resolution services?