Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Three day remote activation" – three weeks (and counting) later

FIXED
mayer_n
Grafter

"Three day remote activation" – three weeks (and counting) later

- Firstly, all the Plusnet staff I've spoken with in Sheffield and Leeds have been respectful and courteous, though obviously waiting on hold for 45 odd minutes a time is never fun. I'd definitely appreciate the return of the faster, easier webchat support.

- When I signed up to Plusnet Full Fibre (FTTP) on August 26, I was promised remote activation within three days. We were moving to a new-build and after a hellish time with Sky and BT in the past, this was a massive attraction.

- I knew from the developer that an ONT box was fitted, so speedy remote activation this made sense.

- We moved in on Friday September 2 - no sign of our router. I ring up Monday September 5 and I'm told it's not yet been sent. It's popped in the post. It arrives on Friday September 9. There's obviously no internet yet. I ring up and am told that an OpenReach engineer is coming to fit an ONT box on September 12. Then September 19. I explain that there is a box, and only on Friday September 9 I'm told I have to cancel the
existing OpenReach appointment so they can remote activate, which they'll do in... three days.

- I call today and I'm told that the OpenReach appointment is still there? And that I should keep it. Obviously it can't happen on the 19th now because of the bank holiday.. they apparently tested the line on the 28th (when the ONT box was switched off). I plead with Plusnet to ask OpenReach to try again (solid green lights here now it's switched on).

- Plusnet are told that OpenReach will re-test the line.... but only on September 16 for some reason. And Plusnet will get back to me on September 21.

- It's obviously incredibly frustrating. I know that Plusnet aren't completely in control here and OpenReach are their own beast but at the same time it does feel that had the supply team realised what was happening a bit earlier, things would be happening/have happened quicker? Also, as an end user I don't have contact with OpenReach, so knowing this doesn't help me.

- As it stands I'm inching towards a calendar month since shelling out for what was sold as "three day activation" and it's incredibly frustrating.

- I understand that I'm entitled to £5.25 a day from my promised activation date (presumably that's August 29th?) for every day I've not been activated. I've no idea how to claim for this though, and I've been spending loads on data in the meantime.

Help?
58 REPLIES 58
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: "Three day remote activation" – three weeks (and counting) later

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Plusnet Feedback to My Order

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mayer_n
Grafter

I admire the optimism of putting this in the My Order subforum at least...

I'm not so optimistic, but fingers crossed I suppose.

Main question for now is:

**how do I claim the £5.25 per day for late activation (currently 15 days, certain to be at least 23 days, and no real guarantee for how soon I'll actually be connected after that)**

As said, I'm paying a significant amount for data daily, and had I not been missold a three day activation period I would have either opted to go with another provider, or at the very least had been able to better (and more cost effectively) plan my data purchases, – as well as not having to spend hours on the phone every other day to Plusnet support.
mayer_n
Grafter

From further reading apparently this refund should/will be automatically added to my account. Given that none of the support staff involved in my case have mentioned that, I'm a little bit skeptical.

Please may I have a note added to my account to credit my bill with £5.25 per day from August 29th till whenever I'm actually connected?

Many thanks.
mayer_n
Grafter

I've just had my traditonal 50-minute-on-hold-then-pleasant-chat-with-Sheffield/Leeds and been assured that:

1. My account will be automatically credited from the first activation date I received in writing (September 12) 

2. A note has been put on my account explaining that I was promised three working days before activation at the point of sign-up (which actually would make it September 1, I believe), and that I'll be contacted regarding compensation for that 11-12 day period.

Worryingly, this member of the Plusnet team thinks that the ONT box being switched off would have no bearing on OpenReach being able to test the line (this *isn't* what I was told yesterday), so there *may* actually be a need for an engineer to come to the premises. (Originally promised a visit on September 12, then re-organised by OpenReach for September 19, now a Bank Holiday, and I was told I had to actively cancel this appointment for Plusnet/OpenReach to attempt Remote Activation in any case, which no-one seems willing to action).

From what I've been told, it seems as though OpenReach will start testing the line in three days from now (?) on September 16, it'll take five days (?), and Plusnet will get back to me on September 21, and tell me there's a problem. I'll probably need to organise an OpenReach engineer at that point, which I imagine will likely be a two-week minimum lead time on past form (so October 5)?

And all for a service I signed up for on August 26 with a promise of remote activation within three working days.

(EDIT: I obviously realise that there's no chance this being replied to, but I need to keep a record of what I'm being told and here seems very much as good a place as any.

Laughably, I'm past the 14-day period since I signed up for the "service", which means I'll be hit for cancellation charges if I move elsewhere now. On the "plus" side, I'm inching towards the 30 days since sign-up which means that if I hang on a bit longer I won't be slapped with termination charges for a delayed service I've already started paying for that I'm yet to receive.)

Cacicula
Grafter

Thank you for posting about the 5.25 pounds compensation as I did not know and no one from plusnet care to mention it.
mayer_n
Grafter

No worries.

Some links I found helpful searching around:

- The company's Code of Practice: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-code-of-practice/

- It's Customer Complaints Code of Practice: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

- Plusnet info on the Automatic Compensation Scheme: https://www.plus.net/help/legal/automatic-compensation/

- Details from Ofcom of how the Automatic Compensation Scheme should work: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @mayer_n

Thanks a lot for taking my call just now, it was really nice speaking with you.

Again I'm so sorry for all the delays to getting your service up and running and for any incorrect advice you've been given so far. 

It is correct that the ONT needs to be powered on for the "health check" to work, the result then determines whether we can proceed with an engineer visit or a remote activation. Although I will keep pushing for it it's less likely we could get them to re-run the check without cancelling and replacing the order which would cause further set backs so I'm speaking with them to get a new appointment arranged. 

I'll give you a call as promised tomorrow with an update.

Do get back to me in the meantime if you need to and I'll be on shift until 8pm today.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mayer_n
Grafter

So here's where we are.

Plusnet have confirmed that OpenReach will of course not visit on the 19th (Bank Holiday),

OpenReach apparently claim "there is still some external work to be carried out to complete the first stage of the order" before Plusnet can book an appointment - but no-one is saying what this "external work" is. In short, I don't really believe them.

OpenReach will then review this again on the 21st (five days from now for some reason, 26 days from my order). There's no word or suggestion of when they would actually come to the premises, should they need to.

As ever, the Plusnet team are being kind and courteous, but no-one's offering me any sort of solution to expedite this, any explanation as to what's *actually* happening, or any help to ameliorate the situation (I would have gladly bought a 4G hub back in August if I'd been given an honest indication of the setup time to start with. Really, Plusnet should have sent me one free of charge days ago to offset this situation. I'll be paying Plusnet a minimum of £750 over the next couple of years if I choose to stay with them, and as we inch towards 30 days since sign-up I'm obviously very much considering that.)

I know for a fact that:

- OpenReach tested the line on August 28th when the ONT box was switched off

- That the box and line appears functional now it's switched on (solid green power and PON light, while the LOS light is off). I can post an image of it including the serial number as proof.

- For reasons I don't understand, OpenReach are refusing to simply re-test the line, even though they know all of the above. Plusnet can't tell me why.

As is, it just feels like OpenReach are refusing to do a remote line/ONT test and do their bit for remote activation because they fancy the journey, or can't be bothered to override an as-yet unbooked appointment on their system for some reason.

From my perspective, if there's some legitimate problem with the line or box that needs a engineer, it's a pain but it's something I understand – I'd just like them to explain what it is.

OpenReach did a line test initially within 2 days of me placing an order, so surely it needs less planning/booking/resources to do that again than to send out an engineer to the premises (which is now coming up to *three weeks* from their first attempt to book it).

Can they maybe just humour me and give it a go? Save themselves the petrol? If it's not clear then I'll be no worse off than before, and nor will they.
mayer_n
Grafter

Last update for a while.

Plusnet say there's nothing they can do (bar potentially cancelling and rebooking my order – which we all know would likely leave me worse off) to make things go faster.

OpenReach are refusing to test the line or attempt a remote activation. They're acting as though there's no ONT even though they've been told by their business partner Plusnet that there is. Apparently Plusnet can't make them change their mind on this, which I find utterly bewildering.

Why Plusnet can't say "No. Ignore your automated system. It is wrong. Let me speak to a manager please, just go ahead and test and activate the line *now*." is a mystery to me.

I don't have a contract or contact with OpenReach. Plusnet do. It's incumbent on Plusnet to get on the phone, escalate, ask to speak to someone in charge and make this happen.

OpenReach will "review this again " on September 21 – I don't actually know what that means, and no-one has been able to tell me what it means.

I imagine that means that only on September 21 will they attempt to book a (probably unnecessary) engineer visit, and from that point it's anybody's guess as to when I'll actually be connected.

It's so frustrating and disappointing. I'm spending money on data, it's complicating the work I can do and preventing me from doing other work, also.
mayer_n
Grafter

I just received this email.

----

The engineer appointment to activate your broadband service is confirmed for 06/10/2022. The engineer should arrive between 08:00 - 13:00.

Please ensure you are available to provide access for the engineer to carry out the work.

If access cannot be provided, you may be liable to a charge of £65 and the appointment will need to be rebooked

----

No, no, and no. Not acceptable.

Plusnet: get on the phone to OpenReach *now* Explain that I have a functional ONT box. Test it. Activate it. Today
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi Mayer,

I'm really sorry for the frustration. I appreciate that this feels like it should be a simple flick of a switch to get you online.

Adam's not in the office yet, I believe he's due to start at 11:30am, so I've spoken with our suppliers helpdesk for you. 

The agent's said to me that they've tried a remote activation already, but it had failed due to a problem in the network, so a job has been raised with their "Service Delivery" team who should be going out tomorrow to investigate further. We've been given a review date of 21st September to allow time for updates to come through.

As they haven't been able to tell me exactly what the problem is, I have raised an escalation into Openreach, which we should get a response about at some point today, so we'll update when we know more. I understand you're wanting us to escalate to a manager instead, but I don't think it'd be any better than following the escalation process we have.

I realise our suppliers have arranged an engineer visit for the 6th October but if the external work isn't done by then, it'll likely be delayed further although from what the agent told me on the phone, it's minor work that needs doing so the appointment should be good for the 6th. We'll confirm this with you when the work's complete however. 

While we could ask our suppliers to attempt the remote activation again when the external work's been done, in my experience, there is nothing anyone can do to push to re-request this. People may try but it's likely not going to work if I'm being honest. I'm happy to be wrong though and I'm sure Adam will be happy to ask for a remote activation again.

I'm genuinely sorry again for how long it's turning out that your order's taking after having thought it'd only be 3 days. If you have any further queries this morning, let me know and I'll be happy to get back to you while Adam's away. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Thanks Anoush.

You'll likely see on my notes that I've been on the phone with Paul for the past half hour for an update/venting session – he was very empathetic and he'll be getting back to me at 3.30pm today with the latest, though no-one's hopeful of anything changing any time soon it seems.

It appears as though Plusnet sadly don't have the ability/direct line to tackle OpenReach's intransigence, so we are where we are. There's a request in for clarity on the external work being done on September 16 – though we're all a bit sceptical about whether or not that work actually exists. The fact that they're still sending out an engineer on October 6 regardless of the results of this "work" speaks volumes.

As is, I'll be well past the 30-days period before I get connected, and as I discussed with Paul there's a mutual understanding that I'll need a significant show of goodwill from Plusnet well beyond the £5.25/day automatic compensation to stay with the company for the two-year contract and beyond.

It will need to reflect the lost work, the hassle around the work I have done, the data expenses, the hours on hold and on the phone and of course the disappointment and frustration of the continual holding patterns. He's agreed that we'll hammer out exactly what that will be once I'm connected.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

No problem Mayer, I appreciate the frustration again but ultimately there's a problem in the network, so even if our suppliers could somehow force your order to complete, the service would likely not work. I can see you've spoken with Paul and he's raised a request for our backend echat team to contact our suppliers helpdesk again. 

We've already done this a few times though and they can't give us more information as they don't have it themselves, which is pretty much the reason I raised an escalation, so I've cancelled that request and I've moved the ticket back into Adam's ownership. I do believe that following the escalation process we have with suppliers is the right next move. 

Regarding the engineer visit on the 6th October, it is not confirmed at this stage until the external work is complete. For FTTP orders, our suppliers would sometimes have an appointment booked in the system even if if further work's needed before then, and if that work isn't completed by the time the appointment date comes around, they'd delay appointment. 

I understand the hassle and the time you've been on hold to us isn't acceptable, especially while trying to work from home. Adam will keep ownership for you so you don't need to spend time calling us again. 

As for compensation / goodwill, I'll leave that with Adam to have a chat with you about it when you're up and running. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Anoush.

As I've discussed with Adam, Paul and others, the truth is that neither you nor I are *really* sure if there is a problem with the network, or if the problem is that OpenReach just don't want to re-test a line they initially tested when the ONT box was switched off on August 28 (which on the face of it seems a more likely situation).

You say that if OpenReach suppliers could force the order to complete, the service would likely not work. My request is "Hey, why not try?".

With "external work" still to be done, and an engineer provisionally booked for three weeks from today, nothing would be lost. Absolutely nothing. Humour me, OpenReach. Test the line and attempt the remote activation. If that was done a week ago we'd know one way or the other and I wouldn't keep mentioning it.

Without wanting to nitpick, it's not simply *my feeling* as a disgruntled moany customer that it should be a simple flick of the switch to get activated. It's what was explicitly sold to me by Plusnet as "remote activation within three days" when I paid £29.99 and signed a binding contract on August 26th. It's a contract that's tied me in to a load of commitments that I can't walk away from for another eight days or so without Plusnet keeping my thirty quid and charging me termination costs.

OpenReach won't tell you what's wrong, or the nature of the work, which seems strange to me, and should surely seem strange to you? I'm no expert when it comes to fibre optic cables, so they could fob me off with "something is wrong with the left phalange" and I'd probably sigh and accept it, but they're not doing even that, which as I'm sure you can understand is so incredibly frustrating?