Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Three day remote activation" – three weeks (and counting) later

FIXED
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: "Three day remote activation" – three weeks (and counting) later

@mayer_n  The frustration that Openreach can create knows no bounds, how can a simple remote activation be dragging on for weeks. Plusnet seem to have no way of getting the full story from them so don't know what's going on either.

I am about to send you a PM which may help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thanks for getting back to me Mayer.

Based on the struggle we've had to re-request a remote activation, I suspect that the supplier system won't let them do it, if the first remote activation didn't go through, due to the line test failing. When the escalation team get back to us, we'll explain that the test likely failed due to the ONT being switched off at the time and we'll see if they can do it again.  

I've however read your PMs and Adam's offer to cancel the order and replace it now your ONT's switched on is still on the table. I know you were worried that it'd affect what compensation we'd offer but it won't do. 

Are you happy for me to do this? Obviously if there is a problem in the network then we'd likely have a set back. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Hi Anoush, and thanks again for your really swift reply – I do really appreciate it as I know how busy you are with customer issues.

I'm not willing to risk a further setback and – despite your welcome assurances – a load more potential red tape, along with the "blame" being shifted my way if there is in fact some sort of unknown issue that needs fixing. While it may not affect the automatic compensation being offered or any other goodwill settlement, it would legally bind me to another 30 day period from the start of actioning the order, and as I'm sure you understand I'm not willing to entertain that.

The fact that cancelling and re-booking the order would likely hasten the re-test of the line (presumably it'd be logged as a new test?), shows that it's entirely possible for OpenReach to go ahead and just do that now, with the information you've given them. In some ways, knowing this is probably even more frustrating.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mayer,

While there may be a setback if there's a genuine problem in the network, we absolutely wouldn't blame you if we cancelled the order then replaced it, and we wouldn't bind you to a new period as your account with us would remain the same.

I do love a challenge so I've spoken with another agent from the supplier helpdesk again who has done some digging. He's explained to me that line tests are passing, but showing that your ONT is not connected to the router.

Could you confirm if your ONT has this morning been plugged in to the wall and router along with both being powered up? If it hadn't been, are you around to plug everything in and power all up? I can then call again to re-run the line test. 

The agent's said to me that if line tests pass and don't show any issues then they can complete the order remotely without engineers being involved. Frustratingly, the external work showing may be a red herring as after some (metaphorical) digging, he thinks that note could have been added to your order their side in error and thus causing confusion. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

The Plusnet Hub Two router wasn't switched on (I wasn't asked to switch it on, and OpenReach apparently tests the line before the hub is even despatched so I wasn't aware that was necessary?).

I've switched it on now, and let it start up (so we're on an orange light).

Many, many thanks for following this up for me, and I've got my fingers crossed!

Mayer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mayer, 

No problem and thanks for getting back to me as well. 

Could you go to the router settings at http://192.168.1.254 navigating to Advanced Settings > Technical log > Information then private message me a copy of the information there? I'm wondering whether if that'll show a "working" service but you just not being able to get online due to the order not being completed in the system.  

I'm ringing Openreach again now. Fingers crossed indeed!

[edit]

Sorry you'll have a missed call just now as I rang your number by accident instead of Openreach...

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mayer,

Having spoken with a different agent in the supplier helpdesk he's explained further that the reason a line test is showing that message is due to the age of the ONT. If it's older than 3 years, the system is designed to send an engineer to modernise it. He has triggered the order to complete, which should be done today. 

Assuming this goes ahead as planned, if there are any issues we can report a fault to task an engineer out that way. It's generally much quicker to arrange a fault engineer than to wait for an engineer on the back of an order. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Hi Anoush - no worries on the missed call. I've PMd my router log info over and hope it's helpful.

I'm hoping the ONT isn't 3+ years old as this house wasn't even built a few months ago, and my neighbours will have the same setup and got connected without an issue.

Fingers crossed once more that things move quickly from this point – and thanks once more for getting this pushed on from the OpenReach side of things.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Mayer,

Thanks for the PM, I've messaged you back. It doesn't show much useful info relevant to this scenario as I'd hoped.

Ah well the order is now completed so we've achieved what we'd set out to and we can always raise a fault if needed. 

It's only completed so far in Openreach's systems. As soon as it has been in the front facing systems belonging to BT Wholesale, we'll activate your account so you can hopefully get online! Shouldn't take too long. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Amazing - thanks again Anoush. Whatever happens from this point it feels like you've made more progress in the last couple of hours than I've had in the last few weeks.

For what it's worth, the ONT is an Nokia ONT G-010G-Q. Although that model line may be 2-3 years old, the instruction manual that comes with mine says (c) Nokia 2021.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Mayer and sorry for the struggle you've had to gain traction. Interesting stuff about the ONT model. 

Let's hope you can get online when the order hopefully fully completes today. 

I've passed this thread to Adam to follow things up with you. I would've done sooner but I didn't realise he was online. I was waiting for him to come into the office and sit next to me, but turns out he's working from home today... 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mayer_n
Grafter

Any update one way or the other?

I was originally meant to be taking a call from Paul at 3.30pm, but that was before Anoush made some headway with OpenReach and before my case was handed back to Adam, so I understand if that's been cancelled.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there Mayer, the good news is that the external work is now done and we're just waiting for the order to close off so the service will start working as soon as that's done, that can take place at any time up until Midnight. 

Hat's off to Anoush for pulling that out of the bag for us!

I'm sorry Paul didn't call when promised, I'll try giving you a call a little later this afternoon if that's OK.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mayer_n
Grafter

Hi Adam,

No worries on the call from Paul - we did pop that in the diary before today's headway so the stuff he was due to update me on has been overtaken by events (I hope).

I'll keep an eye on the Hub and keep hoping for that Blue Light to appear between now and midnight!

Big thanks again to Anoush and the team for pushing it this far today already, and here's hoping we'll be there before the end of the day.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for taking my call just now, I'm really pleased that the order has completed so the service should be working within roughly the next 10 minutes now the router is powered on. 

As mentioned I'm on shift until 8pm so do message me back if there's any issues and I'll respond as quickly as I can.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team