Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential problem with line

FIXED
Commsbreakdown
Dabbler

Potential problem with line

After many years with BT I recently took the decision to swap over to Plusnet phone and fibre broadband.  This did not get off to a flying start when I received a text the next day saying there was a problem with the order. When I phoned the helpdesk it appeared there was an issue because BT holds slightly the wrong address data for the line, although they do have the correct billing address.  This was resolved on the phone and the order successfully placed. However I now have another text saying the order is delayed.  On checking my account it says that after a line check there is 'a potential  problem with the line'  This is rather odd as my BT service is working perfectly and is towards the upper end of the speed range indicated.  My main concern now is that BT will cut off my service on the indicated changeover day and Plusnet wont start the service leaving me with no phone and broadband.  Does anyone have any similar experience of this and more importantly what are my chances of losing the connection.  Like so many others broadband is now important to allow working from home.  Quite a worrying start to the Plusnet experience if I'm honest 

28 REPLIES 28
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Potential problem with line

Hello,

A warm welcome to the forums.

The address details used by BT Retail who do the selling and billing of services to end users, should not be confused with the address details held by BT Openreach who own and manage the circuit.  It is not uncommon for addresses to be inconsistent between BTs Retail, Wholesale and Openreach and such issues only coming to light when the user seeks to migrate to a different provider ... who has to prove that the address "on the line" that they want to take over is the same as that of where the service is to be provided to.

Sadly, having had one failure in this space, further failures (Wholesale and Openreach do not talk to each other) which are bounced back to the new ISP can add more delay.

There is then also the "golden gottach" which arises from the user telling their existing supplier that they are leaving and THEY giving the supplier an end date ... rather than leaving it all to the new supplier to manage.  Once that happens a new supplier cannot place orders on that line until AFTER the existing service has been ceased.  It can then take 2 or so days to restart the line and a minimum of 5 further days to get the broadband working.  In such situations there is a risk of the existing number being lost.  (All days are work days).

I really hope that BT Retail have not raised a cease order on your line ... !

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Commsbreakdown
Dabbler

Many thanks for the welcome and useful post.  

I felt I had resolved any issues with the inconsistency's with the addresses in what at the time I felt was a useful contact with the help desk.  The switch request to BT has been handled by Plusnet.  I am now sufficiently nervous about the whole process to consider cancelling the order as I am within the 'cooling off period'.  These days broadband is so important that the potential loss even short term would be most unwelcome to say the least.  Also as our mobile signal is not that great the phone line is still essential to us as we have elderly relatives depending on us.  I'll probably give it a few days but the idea of 'place the order and sit back and wait' seem a pretty distant memory now.  Something of a shame as this would be quite a useful cost saving to be honest. Anyway thank you again for your response.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Commsbreakdown, thanks for getting in touch on our forums. I'm really sorry that you've experienced some issues with your order and for the concern caused with the updates received. Let me take a look at this for you Smiley

I've had a check on the orders and they look to be now progressing fine with them now in a committed state. I have provided a confirmation of this on a ticket here for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=223909449

If you have any further queries at all, please let me know!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Commsbreakdown
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help and welcome reassurance that all is well.  I look forward to the switch!.

I appreciate the prompt response-top job!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

She is a good one our @LaurenB, makes rubbish cups of tea though Sad 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@SammyM wrote:

She is a good one our @LaurenB, makes rubbish cups of tea though Sad 

Don’t get me started on @LaurenB‘s cups of tea. Ugh. I’d rather go thirsty. Tongue Cheesy

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Commsbreakdown
Dabbler

Maybe a change of beverage?. Coffee, beer, wine, a morale boosting shot?!. 😁

Well done on the name Gandalf.  It reminds me of a time years ago when I was signing up for a social media site.  I decided to be Mustrum Ridcully as it was so unlikely anyone else would choose this character from quite a niche book genre.  I was actually offered Mustrum Ridcully 213(or so) indicating we are not as unique as we might believe. I declined.

I guess being staff helps! 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Commsbreakdown  it is a more common username than you may think!!! 😎

Commsbreakdown
Dabbler

@Mustrum. That's hilarious!.  Didn't try for it on this forum, just as well it would seem!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Commsbreakdown wrote:
 Maybe a change of beverage?. Coffee, beer, wine, a morale boosting shot?!. ‌:beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Great idea! There's nothing like a nice single malt whisky to boost morale.

Drinking whisky while working. There's no way that can go wrong... ‌Grin

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Coor, Comms Breakdown - that rings a bell. I used to work on a communications system for my old company (I wrote software for ships) and we used to say that!

With tea, at my old company they used to get all different varieties of tea. People didn't realise you should keep them all separate. I remember speaking to our sysadmin:

*he sips a cup of tea*
(swear words follow).
*I've got Earl Grey here!*
(spits it out).

I thought it was funny, but a few months later I did exactly the same thing and I used the same swear words and had the same reaction too. 😀

Ah yes drinking whilst working. I always remember my first company and the big boss signing off a major release in the morning. Oooh dear that was a very long pub lunch, and suffice to say we spent longer than we should have done in there. 😉

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

How dare they 😱

Keeping the flavours separate is must have and that goes for coffee as well.

I have enough jars of different flavoured teas and coffee to supply 2 office buildings in my locker, AND THEY ARE LABELLED. (I have problem 🤣 lol)

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Now now now @SammyM & @Gandalf, leave my brew making skills out of this. Putting the milk in first is absolutely normal 😬

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I think we need to vote on that @LaurenB, tea has to brew before the milk is added in my opinion. No one likes a weak cup of tea 🙄 (shade to Lauren)

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team