cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved house, no connection = no heating

Niallrio

Moved house, no connection = no heating

Recently renewed with Plusnet, mainly because we were moving house (only a few roads over) and were assured by Plusnet it would be a seamless process to transfer our connection on the day. 

The day we moved in (yesterday, Thursday) the engineer came around and assured us the connection would be working by Midnight Thursday the latest. Customer service today told us to wait again to Midnight tonight. I am starting to feel fobbed off.

Its now Friday 21:00 and the box is still red/amber with a red B indicating no connection. As a result I have not been able to connect to the new houses smart heating system (not so smart) and I have very cold wife and children. 

Is it normal for Plusnet to not be able to action something so simple?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Moved house, no connection = no heating

@Niallrio Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like that for some reason Openreach failed to activate your service yesterday and are now programmed to do it on Monday. This is something over which Plusnet has no control.

You obviously won’t be able to connect to your heating over the Internet but whilst I have no knowledge of your heating system I’m surprised that you can’t control it from a device connected to your local network. Have you tried connecting your  heating devices to the control app despite having no broadband connection to the outside world?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Surely the heating system has a simple push button over-ride facility?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see you've not been able to get online at your new house yet. I've had a look at this for you and I can see your house move order completed with our suppliers on the 17.03.22 but it looks like our own systems were a little slow in updating to reflect this which was done in early hours of Saturday morning.

I've tested your line tonight and the tests aren't showing any issues though I can see your router's not online. Is your router currently plugged into the master socket telephone socket and switched on? I'd recommend giving the steps explained Here a go if so as this will tell you how to access the "test socket". 

Let me know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Niallrio

Thankyou for the response.

I unplugged the router as the orange light and red B had not changed and my devices were trying to pick-up plusnet as default, instead of the BT wifi I am now also paying for.

The router is now plugged back in - the solid orange light and solid "b" light remain in place - still no connection.

Edit: Every time I restart the router there is a breif period of the ligh going blue before it goes back to orange, in case this means anything.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for clarifying that. Smiley

Is your router in the master telephone socket and have you tried the test socket?

This should rule out any internal wiring and can be the fastest way to resolve an issue. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Niallrio

The DSL plug does'nt fit into the connector in the master socket, I don't have an adapter.

The engineer sent by Plusnet fitted the master socket three days ago, surely part of this procedure would be testing the connection?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It should have been but as you're having an issue, I'd just like to make sure there's nothing wrong with the internal wiring, because the next step would be to arrange another Openreach engineer which can take more time. 

With the router we've provided, you should have what's known as a "microfilter" you can use to plug your router into the test socket. Also, do you have just the one socket which the engineer fitted or more than one? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Niallrio

Right - thanks for that and thanks for sticking with me.

Found the microfilter, its now inserted with same result, briefly get a solid blue light now back to solid orange and "b" symbol.

Yes, the engineer just fitted one master socket (openreach 5c).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, no problem. It's normal for the router light to go blue for a brief moment, but should change back and stay blue after a few minutes of orange/red. I've just tested your line and the good news is that I can now see your router is "in sync" with the equipment at the cabinet (the green box in the road). I still can't see an active connection though.

Would you be able to try going through the following steps to manually reconnect your router back to the internet? 

1. Connect a device onto the router's WiFi or plug a laptop/PC into the router using an ethernet cable

2. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254

3. Click on the Advanced Settings tab

4. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button

5. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Broadband tab

6. If there's a Disconnect button, click that

7. Change the username to the broadband username in the format of username@plusdsl.net If you can't remember this I'd check for any emails we've sent you for example an email with you bill on as we'd add the username to the top of the email.

8. Type in the account password, you can reset it here: https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/ if needed

9. Hit the Connect button.

Let me know how it goes again, I'll be here until 10pm tonight but back tomorrow. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet