Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from JL Broadband to Plusnet

FIXED
WingNut
Hooked

Move from JL Broadband to Plusnet

Plusnet have offered me SOEGA (broadband with no phone) so what am I supposed to do about the loss of phone services as they are not supplying Digital Voice?

It seems that from reading other posts on here, Plusnet customers in the same position have been leaving for other providers, so is this the only (best) option? I am out of contract.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

Re: Move from JL Broadband to Plusnet

@WingNut 

You have two choices:

1. Move to an ISP who offers a digital phone service.

2. Stick with Plusnet and set up a VoIP service with a third party VoIP company. You will find plenty of posts relating to this on the Tech Help board. Note that with this option some care will be needed if you wish to keep your phone number, especially as you are moving ISP at the same time.

The first is the easy option, the second could be the cheapest.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jorvik
Grafter

Your easiest solution would be to move to an ISP that provides a native 'digital voice' service (though they might call it by another name) - e.g. BT, Vodafone, Zen, Sky.

You can no longer move providers and keep your PSTN (traditional voice landline) service. Going forwards, Plusnet is being positioned as a 'no frills' brand and as such will not be providing a 'digital voice' service.

WingNut
Hooked

Thanks for the replies. It appears that most (all providers) no longer offer traditional broadband plus phone so yes the only way forward is broadband only from Plusnet or another provider, with VoIP either from the new provider (BT?) or a third party.

VoIP would need choosing with care if the existing number is to be retained (or is that not possible?) as some providers explicitly state that a new number would be required.

More generally I am not sure how this all fits with the switch to digital voice, except for certain categories, such as the elderly and those with an alarm system. It all seems not to be particularly well thought through.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

Fix

@WingNut  f

Since the 5th September a new traditional landline PSTN phone service is simply no longer available. If you change ISP or even change the product on the same ISP you have no choice but to go digital with your phone service or lose it. As JL are closing you have no choice. The 2025 date for the end of the PSTN service only applies if you make no changes to your current service.

For the easy option then ring Customer Services and they will arrange to transfer your broadband and phone service to BT, the phone will simply go digital and you just plug your current phone into th BT hub.

If you want to go to a third party digital VoIP phone service and stay with Plusnet for your broadband then look at companies such as A&A, not BT. 
There are various approaches to this, the first question has to be: Which is the most important to you, keeping your current landline number or having the minimum break in broadband service?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WingNut
Hooked

Thanks, that helps. I have also found several similar threads discussing the same issue.