cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre setup - new wall port

FIXED
jackrdavies5

Full Fibre setup - new wall port

Hello, I'm a returning Plusnet customer and have a couple of questions on the full fibre setup, to find out if it'll meet my needs.

I'll be moving into the new house at the end of next month. I require an ethernet connection to my router (directly or indirectly) for work purposes.

I'm expecting a Plusnet engineer visit to setup the basic connection in a couple of weeks time. Firstly, I believe that the full fibre ONT box can be installed pretty much wherever I like, regardless of where the old setup (via phoneline modem) was, is that correct? My plan is to have it installed in the front room at the front of the house, where the router can be set up.

Ideally, I will patch my computer into the network in my office via a RJ45 wall socket - this doesn't exist in the house yet. The office is directly above the front room where the router will be installed. Is it possible to connect an RJ45 wall socket to the ONT box? (or otherwise, what is the method here?), and presumably this wouldn't be done by a Plusnet engineer and I'd need to get an electrician to visit separately? The alternative I suppose is to run an ethernet cable directly from the router to the room above, but I'd much prefer a new wall socket, however if it's going to be a big hassle then I'm not opposed to that.

As an aside, I'm also curious about the Plusnet router. I have my own router that I'd like to use. I was a Plusnet customer about 2 years ago, and I remember this being an issue. I recall having to connect my router to the Plusnet router, which was connected to the modem (this wasn't Full Fibre broadband), then I could connect to my router as required - I couldn't simply connect my router to the modem directly. Anyone know if this would still be the case? Or could I simply use my router by connecting directly to the ONT box?

Thanks in advance for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Full Fibre setup - new wall port

Fix

@jackrdavies5 

It's OpenReach who will install the ONT (unless it's a new build where it could be pre-installed by the builder). You have some lee way as to where it goes but only if it's possible in OR terms - you'll only find out on the day. It must be near a power source.

You can use your own equipment if it supports PPoE (if it works on FTTC then it'll work on FTTP). The router is connected via an ethernet cable you it can go where ever you're happy to run cable. If not, the PN router can be put into Bridge mode for yourequipment to connect to.

You could get somebody in to run an external ethernet cable upstairs terminated by ethernet wall sockets at either end. If you go down this route just make sure you get good quality external rated cable.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

If not, the PN router can be put into Bridge mode for yourequipment to connect to.

Just to note: Bridge mode doesnt work ( its not neccessary and is pointless ) for FTTP. You would effectively be bridging ethernet to ethernet!

As @bmc says , as long as your router supports PPPoE on its WAN connection, then you connect it directly to the ONT

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jackrdavies5

Many thanks for the reply.

The router I have should be fine then - I use FTTP with it currently.

I think I'll go with the external ethernet cable plan - this sounds like it shouldn't be too much work and makes sense to me!

Thanks again

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@jackrdavies5 

The starting point for your ONT install is the current incoming cable - the fibre will follow the same route.

An electrician or a TV aerial installer should be able to do the external cable - you could even do it yourself. It just involves drilling two holes through the external wall and then installing ethernet wall sockets. To save the connection cables sticking out of the wall you can get angled ethernet plugs (up, down, left or right).

Brian