cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

Phimo
Dabbler

Re: For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

Well, I'm all grown up now!

Just completed the transition to VDSL and have to say that it wasn't too bad as experiences go. The Archer VR600 connected straight away and I can confirm that the router automatically changes from listing ADSL ISPs to VDSL ISPs dependent on the connection type. I selected 'Plusnet_VDSL', inputed my username and password and away it all went.

I have added the connection and speed test results below for reference and comment if necessary but, for now, it seems to be working fine.

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 9997 39999
Max Rate (kbps) 22624 104479
SNR Margin (dB) 13.7 19.3
Line Attenuation (dB) 0 8.1
Errors (pkts) 3 0

Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 13.54.37.png

Phimo
Dabbler

Re: For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

The Plusnet router just arrived, talk about bad timing. I'll leave the Archer VR600 in place till a later date.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Phimo 

The PlusNet routers have a small PlusNet program in the software. When you plug them in they use a default setup to get to PlusNet, then use the line details to find your account and update the Login id and password as detailed on the packaging.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I have added the connection and speed test results below for reference and comment if necessary but, for now, it seems to be working fine.

@Phimo  those connection stats show that you are easily achieving the maximum speeds on the Unlimited Fibre product i.e 40mb down and 10Mb up. The maximum estimated speeds shown by the router would suggest that should you at some point want  faster speeds then upgrading to the Fibre Extra product would likely give something close to the maximum 80/20 on that also.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Phimo
Dabbler

@bmc You are correct and @Dan_the_Van already alluded to this. I have thoroughly interrogated the Hub 2 and found it’s strengths and weaknesses so I feel fully prepared to use it as and when necessary.

There are two things that cause me concern with the Hub 2 and perhaps you or someone else can enlighten me.

1. The Hub 2 seems to only allow combined wireless bands whereas I prefer to have separate 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands.
  2. There does not appear to be a way to manually pre-set reserved IP addresses without actually connecting a device to the network and then configuring it as a reserved IP address. My CCTV NVR is configured for fixed IP address cameras but the cameras some times get upset if I renew their leases unnecessarily.
  3. The Gigabit Ethernet port labelled WAN, can this be used as a normal Ethernet port?

I do have my own DNS server but I would rather use IP addresses.

Phimo
Dabbler

@MisterW 

Thanks for your input and I am also surprised to see the figures from the router. I always had excellent ADSL performance with sync speeds ~20Mb so I guess it’s not surprising really.

if it wasn’t for my neighbour’s house, I could see the cabinet as it’s only about 30 metres away and the telephone cable comes straight to my front garden where the Telco box is buried. It’s a great advantage watching one’s house being built 😀

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @Phimo

Thanks a lot for keeping in touch on here, I've just sent you an email / updated the open ticket on the account if you'd like to have a look at that. Basically, the account change hasn't fully completed yet, though it should by midnight today. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

1. The Hub 2 seems to only allow combined wireless bands whereas I prefer to have separate 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands.Its not possible to separate the bands I'm afraid.
  2. There does not appear to be a way to manually pre-set reserved IP addresses without actually connecting a device to the network and then configuring it as a reserved IP address. My CCTV NVR is configured for fixed IP address cameras but the cameras some times get upset if I renew their leases unnecessarily.I thought you could set reserved addresses without connecting, providing you know the MAC address of the device (but i may be wrong). You could still set a static IP on the NVR itself ( providing its outside the DHCP range of the HUB 2 )
  3. The Gigabit Ethernet port labelled WAN, can this be used as a normal Ethernet port?No, you are limited to 3 LAN ports

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Phimo
Dabbler

@MisterW 

Thanks for your response. I cannot see how to pre-set reserved IP addresses at all until the devices are connected which is a big problem if I wish to keep my CCTV system going. The cameras are DHCP only and they don’t like changes of IP address at all. It is often necessary to reset them to factory defaults which is a pain.

I understand that I cannot run separate wireless bands and can probably grow used to it.

only 3 Ethernet ports? A serious issue which would mean having to add yet another switch in the network. I need 4 ports for an Ethernet camera, entertainment equipment switch, Ethernet feed to my office and a home plug for ad-hoc use around the house. I can’t lose any of the connections.

Ah well, I’ll stick with the Archer VR600 for now which seems to be working very well.

Thanks to everyone for your help!