cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

Phimo
Dabbler

Re: For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for that but I have already seen that I can manually configure the router for VDSL although it offers me very few options. As @MisterW has kindly pointed out, I should see a list of VDSL ISPs but I do not which I suspect is because I am not yet connected to a VDSL line and the router therefore only offers me ADSL ISPs.

I am sanguine that all will be well when the time comes but, if not, I will hopefully have a New Hub 2 to fall back on.

Thanks agian!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

Do I take it that my changeover is due on that day specifically or does this mean that it could occur anytime between to day and Wednesday at midnight? If so, why did no one inform me of this when I was originally informed that the changeover should take place today, Monday the 10th? A simple update would have made the position clear.

@Phimo it means the changeover is scheduled on that day. That's when the Openreach engineer is scheduled to go to the cabinet and make the changeover.

The reason for lack of updates is down to computer systems! To explain, the ordering system is highly automated and under normal cicrcumstances, no human interaction is involved. PlusNet's systems 'talk' to BT's systems (or are supposed to!) throughout the procedure. When an order is placed, the systems automatically generate the earliest date for installation. This is often pushed back due to Openreach engineer availability. The OR systems are supposed to send KCI (keep customer informed) messages to advise of any changes to the date. Whether these are not sent under some circumstances or whether the PN systems 'lose' them is debateable. Either way the change in date sometimes does not get back to the end customer, hence in your case you werent aware of the delay.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @Phimo,

I'm sorry that my message wasn't more clear. I've added a support ticket to your account as a further response to this, which can be accessed here. I hope this helps, but if you have any lingering queries then please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Phimo
Dabbler

@TheMightyAJ 

Thanks for your attention to this matter, it is appreciated and shows that customers are listened to.

Luckily, I have had very few problems over the years with Plusnet and they have always been taken onboard and resolved albeit, sometimes with communication issues.

Still happy with Plusnet though and looking forward to my enhanced Internet experience😀

I do have high expectations having worked in customer facing roles in IT, both consumer and corporate, since the mid 70s for Global organisations. It's so important to keep customers informed and feeling cared for!

Thanks all!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

No problem @Phimo and I can completely understand where you're coming from. Hopefully that router arrives soon, but as I say, if there are any issues just let us know and we'll be happy to pick the case back up for review ASAP.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Phimo
Dabbler

@TheMightyAJ 

Sorry to be a pain but something has just occurred to me. When the OR engineer has done his bit in the Exchange/Cabinet to change me from ADSL to VDSL, how will I be notified?

Will I be sent a text on my mobile or receive a call as, obviously, I will not have an Internet connection and, unless I'm online at the time, I may not be aware that anything is wrong.

The reason I ask is because my landline is effectively non-existent as it only accepts calls from numbers on my VIP list so my mobile phone is the only means of contacting me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Phimo

Alex isn't 'in the office' currently (inverted commas as we WFH), so I've picked this up for you. 

The engineer likely won't contact you as the type of work is what's known as PCP-Only (PCP stands for Primary Connection Point and is another term for the cabinet, the green box in the road).

Once you've received your new router, I'd recommend setting it up even if your fibre order hasn't completed as it'll work with your existing standard broadband service, so the switchover to fibre should be almost seamless with generally around half an hour of downtime as the engineer carries out the work. 

Having said that, as there's a possibility you may not receive your new router in time, we can keep an eye on the order and once we've received notification it's completed, we'll drop you a text. I'd note that it can take up to midnight on the day for us to receive this notification, but the engineering work is usually carried out during normal business hours. 

I'd say if your connection drops for half an hour and you don't hear from us (likely because we haven't been provided with a notification) then, assuming you haven't received the Hub Two, configure your existing router to work with VDSL and it should spring to life once the engineer's carried out the fibre work. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Phimo
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

OK, thanks for the useful information and confirmation. I'm surprised that the New Hub 2 will automatically connect to either an ADSL or VDSL line, just shows how technology is progressing.

My own router, the TP-Link Archer VR600, doesn't seem to be as sophisticated!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, the Hub One we released in 2015 would do that as well. Smiley

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with in the meantime. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

My own router, the TP-Link Archer VR600, doesn't seem to be as sophisticated!

This is typical of many third party xDSL devices, as the connection parameters can differ between vendors where as the Hub One/Two is produced specifically for one vendor (PlusNet)

Dan.

Phimo
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van  Noted and logical when you think about it. Postie's just been but no router yet😢

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah that's disappointing, but let us know how it goes over the next few days. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Phimo
Dabbler

Apologies for the longish post...

Hi all, just thought I would update you all on some information regarding Royal Mail and my router delivery.

I mentioned yesterday that the postie had come but my router hadn't and later in the day my wife mentioned that the postie had arrived in a rental van. I looked back on my CCTV and sure enough, the postie did come in an Enterprise Rental van but, even more interestingly, he only came to our house and at least 2 hours earlier than he normally would.

Looking even further back on our CCTV, the postie hadn't left any post for anyone in our close since last Wednesday. I can see anyone entering and leaving the close ( I do have the agreement of the residents to do this). Then, last night our local newspaper announced that Royal Mail were suffering serious problems with mail distribution and that our postcode area was one of 3 seriously affected.

I made enquiries through friends and contacts and was able to find out that the only reason we got our delivery yesterday was because it included a 'Tracked 24' package and our letters, one of which was posted on 31 December, were only included because the postie was coming here anyway. It appears that priority is being given to tracked items.

So, I am not expecting to see my New Hub 2 router anytime soon! It is only by chance that I currently have a router that should work with VDSL2 because I only purchased it some weeks ago when my Netgear D6200 went 'toes-up'. Had I not had this router available I could have been facing complete loss of the Internet when my ADSL - VDSL changeover takes place.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Goos luck with Royal Mail Phimo.  We're in a similar situation with them.  I got a letter earlier in the week containing an appointment for mid November!  What we receive and when is very random.  I hope yours improves soon.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Phimo  post back ( assuming you still have some means of internet access ) if you have problems with getting the VR600 to work and we'll try and help.