cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

Phimo
Dabbler

For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

Having been a customer of Plusnet for the last 17-18 years, I am in the process of moving from ADSL to VDSL. a process that I initiated last Monday. The person I spoke to was extremely helpful and answered all my questions and I left the call with an expectation of the changeover taking place on the 10 January.

To date, the only communictaion, other than confirmation of my order and details of the contract I am entering into, has been an email last Wednesday telling me that my new router was on its way. Three days later, on Saturday, it had not arrived and with changeover potentially due tomorrow, Monday, I have no idea where my router is or whether it will arrive in time.

So, my question is, given that I have paid the princely sum of GBP 6.99 for shipping, why have I not been provided with tracking information for my router package? At least I could see where my router is/was and be able to make arrangements to be in when it arrives. I face the prospect of having my ADSL provision cut off and the possibilioty of having no VDSL router to get things up and working again.

I have had no confirmation of my due date for the changeover so, when do I get to know or do I just guess that it's happened when the ADSL dies?

38 REPLIES 38
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

@Phimo 

Postal deliveries round our way (an urban area) are sporadic at the moment and so I am not surprised that it is taking time for your router to arrive. The routers I have had have not had any tracking information. Plusnet should be able to confirm if it was actually dispatched on Wednesday, or if the email merely meant that the order had gone to the warehouse,  if a CS staff member picks this thread up. The good news is that routers are packed in boxes that should can go through a standard letterbox (I assume the new Hub 2 is similarly packaged) and so you do not need to be in to receive it (if you do have a standard letterbox with no obstruction immediately behind it such as a letter cage).

Regarding the switch from ADSL to fibre that depends on Openreach who will need to do some work at the cabinet to connect you. Plusnet are at the mercy of Openreach's engineer availability but that does not excuse the lack of definitive information as to your connection date.

Hope all goes well.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: For a communications company, Plusnet need to learn how to communicate with its customers!

What equipemtn do you currently have?

Phimo
Dabbler

Thanks for your input. I'm surprised that Plusnet are not using a tracked service such as 'Tracked 24' or 'Tracked 48' as, for the chanrge of GBP 6.99, I assumed a tracked service. I agree that postal deliveries can be delayed especially in these strange times.

As for changeover dates etc. An acknowledgment that the 'estimated' date of changeover was 'whatever' would have at least given me some hope and expectations. Yes, Openreach are the deciding factor here but a start date for the window would be helpful. I am not impatient and I am quite happy to wait until everything comes together but, not knowing what is going on is the frustrating part and the fear that things will happen without warning and catch me out.

Phimo
Dabbler

I have a TP-Link Archer VR600 which, I believe, would work as a VDSL2 router. To be honest, the manualk for the router is as much use as a chocolate fireguard and I had to dig deep into TP-Link's pages to find that the router 'should' work. All the manual seems to mention is connection to a modem using ethernet. The DSL input isn't mentioned as a VDSL connection anywhere.

Maybe I have the wrong manual but it has all the correct numbers on it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Phimo the VR600 should work fine. You can download manuals from here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/archer-vr600/v2/ (make sure you get the correct version for your hardware V1/V2/V3 )

Use the quick setup , select PlusNet_VDSL  and enter your PlsuNet username (<accountname>@plusdsl.net ) and password and you should be good to go

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Phimo
Dabbler

@MisterW 

Thanks for your input but, the manual you pointed me to is the one I have. Having re-read it a few times I can see that they, TP-Link, assume that just using the term 'DSL', as I believe is common abroad, covers all eventualities. 'DSL' covers both ADSL and VDSL, as indeed it should but, I am used to a little more explanation in a manual.

I have the Archer VR600 V3 with the latest firmware and the ISP list only includes Plusnet_ADSL, in fact, there are no VDSL ISPs listed so it looks like a manual configuration is needed. Or, does the modem detect that it is connected to a VDSL line and offer an alternate ISP list? I might find out when my changeover has taken place!

As I said originally, my biggest gripe is the lack of followup communication and I sit here typing away with no confirmation that today is even the start of my 'window of changeover opportunity'! In my opinion, an organisation is only as good as its customer service and far too often nowadays, 'customer service' has become an oxymoron. I know that Plusnet are not perfect, no one is, but this is the first time in 17 - 18 years I have had to complain about basic 'first line' support

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Phimo are you sure you have a VR600 ?

TPLink have an emulator here https://emulator.tp-link.com/vr600(EU)2/index.htm (albeit not for the V3 version).

If you use that and select the 'quick setup' it definitely shows Plusnet_VDSL in the ISP list when UK is selected

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Order.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Phimo
Dabbler

@MisterW 

Here are the router's details taken from the router configuration page:

'Firmware Version: 1.3.0 091 v009e.0 Build 201122 Rel.66972n  Hardware Version:Archer VR600 v3 00000000'

I tried the emulator and, as you say, it lists VDSL ISPs. I tried 'Quick Setup' again on my router and it only shows ADSL ISPs.

Is the list dependent upon the connection type detacted as I suggested in my previous post?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Phimo 

Is the list dependent upon the connection type detacted as I suggested in my previous post?

I didnt think it was. I've not used a VR600 myself but have used a W9970 which is ADSL/VDSL capable. I'm pretty sure that I set that up before plugging in the DSL cable and it gave me the option of ADSL & VDSL. Maybe if the DSL is connected then it detects and only gives available options

Phimo
Dabbler

@MisterW 

"I didnt think it was. I've not used a VR600 myself but have used a W9970 which is ADSL/VDSL capable. I'm pretty sure that I set that up before plugging in the DSL cable and it gave me the option of ADSL & VDSL. Maybe if the DSL is connected then it detects and only gives available options"

Well, I guess I'm going to find out when the changeover takes place. I have been looking at videos on Youtube, which is something I try to stay clear of, and they all show the list of VDSL ISPs that you suggest. I'll return and update the thread with my experience.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @Phimo,

I'm sorry to hear that there hasn't been any follow up communication on the router delivery or the switchover date. I've just had a look into the VDSL orders and I can see that these are due to complete on Wednesday, the 12th of January, at any time up until midnight. This gives us a little bit more time for the router to arrive, which I can see was dispatched on the 6th. Typically the router should arrive within 3-5 working days of the order going through, but as has been mentioned in this thread, these are strange times that we're living in and unfortunately the mail is backed up in numerous locations across the nation. I'm afraid we don't have a tracking service for these parcels, but it shouldn't be long now before it arrives with you.

If you're unable to verify whether or not you're current router can support VDSL connections before the new VDSL service goes live and the router still hasn't arrived by Wednesday, just give us a shout and we'll be happy to take a further look into this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Phimo 

If it's in the drop list you can use BT_VDSL as they use the same setting as PlusNet

or

Select Other and use these settings

Broadband username or login name yourusername
@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0

HTH

Dan.

Phimo
Dabbler

@TheMightyAJ 

Thanks for your intervention but I'm afraid that it just confirms my original observations that communication is failing.

You say: "I've just had a look into the VDSL orders and I can see that these are due to complete on Wednesday, the 12th of January, at any time up until midnight."

Do I take it that my changeover is due on that day specifically or does this mean that it could occur anytime between to day and Wednesday at midnight? If so, why did no one inform me of this when I was originally informed that the changeover should take place today, Monday the 10th? A simple update would have made the position clear.

Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy to accept whatever date and time Openwretch choose to do the work, my complaint is that no one seems to consider that I might wish to know about it and any changes that occur.

You also say: "Typically the router should arrive within 3-5 working days of the order going through,"

I placed my order on Monday 3rd January and I was advised that delivery was typically 1 - 2 days after dispatch which was on Thursday 6th January as you state. Why so long to ship? I fully accept that the Royal Mail service is not as reliable as it used to be so I sit here waiting for a parcel to arrive. The point is, why don't you use a tracked service so that I can see what is happening?

Royal Mail offer their 'Tracked 48' service for GBP 2.90 for a parcel of the size I expect to receive but, I have paid GBP 6.99 for the privilege and have no idea where the parcel is or when it will arrive. I'm not being mean, it's the fact that tracking is not hugely expensive but, its use would greatly enhance the user experience!

Please accept my comments as constructive criticism. A few simple changes to the way you communicate with your customers would make all the difference.