cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need an engineer visit? Line Reactivation?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Do I need an engineer visit? Line Reactivation?

TBH I sometimes wonder whether the charge is correct. Plusnet place the phone order through BTw and i suspect that f their computer says theres a charge then its passed on. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey everybody and welcome to our Community Forums @chrkou

Could you drop me a private message with your full address including postcode, so I can carry out further checks?

@MisterW wrote:

If there is a stopped line, then any charge depends on whether it is currently a BT line or an LLU line. There is no charge for restarting a stopped BT line but the £49.99 charge still applies to restart an LLU line, since an engineer must go to the exchange and change the jumpers. Other suppliers may choose not to pass on this charge.

This^

To confirm, if there's a stopped MPF line (those lines that use LLU equipment at the exchange), we'd charge £49.99 for an engineer to go to the exchange and reactivate the phone line.

Another provider waiving the charge may be their decision to, or the line may be on their own equipment already for example TalkTalk are generally an LLU provider, so if the line was theirs last then I'd imagine they'd be able to restart the line without an engineer, similar to the way we can quickly restart stopped BT lines.

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@MisterW  If your explanation is correct it would appear that I was incorrectly charged when I re-joined Plusnet back in 2019 unless changes have happened since then.

I got the stock Welcome e-mail incorrectly stating that an engineer visit to install the phone service was required. I pointed out to Plusnet that it was a stopped line and was previously with Plusnet so definitely not LLU. There was then an inexplicable problem with the phone number on the stopped line not being available to order which even had our resident wizard Gandalf puzzled. It wasn't really a problem as the same number was used.

I wonder if it is a bit late to ask for a refund of the installation charge?‌‌

Thanks for the heads up! Not too late at all, I've refunded the installation charge now to your bank account you should receive within the next 5 to 10 working days. Normally I proactively do this at the time, I can't understand why I didn't. Sorry for missing that though. Hope this helps. Smiley

@MisterW wrote:

Plusnet place the phone order through BTw

We actually place phone orders through Openreach. Broadband orders through BT Wholesale.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf  Thanks very much, I wasn't expecting a refund but it's a very welcome surprise. Broadband has been perfect by the way, only problem recently was a phone line fault at the exchange, fixed very quickly.

Thanks again for your help.😀

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RealAleMadrid, no problem and glad to see your broadband's working well apart from a small hiccup. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

We actually place phone orders through Openreach.

@Gandalf thanks for that information. Has that changed ? I thought all phone billing was through BTw , so assumed the order would be with them initially who would pass on to OR

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@MisterW For as long as I've worked here since 2014 (3rd November to be precise, how time flies!) we've always placed orders direct with Openreach through our ordering system. As the order goes nowhere near BTW, I wouldn't expect they'll have involvement in the billing although I could be wrong.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet