Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP but no ONT

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

CSP but no ONT

A friend is just about to order Full Fibre for a house they have been doing building work on for a while, since buying it.  There is a CSP on the front, though from what I can see from the photo he's sent me, the ONT isn't there any more, with just the fibre sticking through the wall with the green connector on it.

At a guess when he's ordering, Openreachs systems will think there is an ONT and will be wanting to activate that, though obviously he'll need an engineer visit to at least install an ONT, presuming the fibre from the CSP to where to ONT hasn't been damaged.

What's the best way for him to proceed?  I'm guessing this probably will need some manual intervention?

@adamwalker,  @James30@csmith94 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: CSP but no ONT

The ONT is registered to an address so there's really no point in people taking them when they move, but I wonder how many realise that. They are the fibre equivalent of the master socket so shouldn't be removed.

@pjmarsh youre correct, OR will believe there's an ONT, although from what we've seen here, a lot of the time the system will insist on an engineer anyway!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Totally agree @MisterW.

Don't some of those orders end up getting cancelled when Openreach realise that there should already be an ONT?  I'm trying to get ahead of the game for him and make sure appropriate orders and notes are placed early on! 

FTTP provision seems to be quite a mess, before complications like this happen!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Don't some of those orders end up getting cancelled when Openreach realise that there should already be an ONT?

From what I've seen, they need to be manually cancelled by PN and replaced as a remote activation order.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks @MisterW, I've probably not been following them too closely!

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@pjmarsh You can drop me a private message with your friend's postcode and house name/number and I can check for an ONT in the property now for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks @ClaudiaG23.  I've PM'd you.  There should be an ONT there, but there isn't any more.

The Wholesale checker says "ONT exists with no active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered.", though since there isn't an ONT, our worry was the the wrong type of order would be placed (to activate the ONT) which would cause delays.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and I can check for an ONT in the property now for you.

Yes, its possible to check if there SHOULD be an ONT but short of getting a 'mark one eyeball' on it, there's no way to check if there IS an ONT

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Exactly @MisterW.

This is what he has inside when the bought the property (sorry for the poor photo):

RE1.jpg

And a better photo of how it currently is:

RE2.jpg

You can see in the first photo where the ONT was probably connected to the wall.

Most definitely no ONT regardless of what anyone's database says!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@pjmarsh  well that definitely looks like there WAS an ONT. Who stripped back all the plaster ? Did they perhaps remove the ONT ? If it was your typical contractor I doubt that the fibre through to the CSP is intact.

I would think the best approach, once the plastering is done!, is to get an Openreach engineer to replace the internal fibre connection to the CSP and provide an ONT.

How one goes about that, I'll let @ClaudiaG23 decide. I suspect, as you say, the system says 'there's an existing ONT' so there's no engineer required. Having said that, there must surely be a way of overriding the ordering system and rqeuesting an engineer, but knowing how OR systems work maybe not!!

It might be the only way is to go along with the remote activation, and then when it completes, raise a fault and get an OR engineer out to check the installation.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I think the plaster was removed by my mate.  The first photo was from when the first got the house probably 18 months or so ago.  They are moved on to the site shortly which is why they are getting FTTP connected now.  There's still a lot of work needing to be done after though!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If it is installed BEFORE the plastering , then you'd need to make sure the plasterer is careful around the internal fibre connection. I THINK it might be possible to pull the plastic guide tube out a bit and then push it back when the plastering is done, but you cant remove it completely.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

To keep this thread up to date, orders placed and details sent to Claudia.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@pjmarsh take a look at the 2nd attachment in post #1 on this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Order/New-order-a-couple-of-questions/m-p/1919952#M28370

It seems to be a text sent by OR when a remote activation order is being attempted. It shows an option to reply MISSING when no ONT or PSU exists. That would seem to cover your situation. What happens if you do reply as such , well who knows...

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Quick update.  They've got an engineer appointment for Monday, and the router has arrived already, so it looks to be heading in the right direction.