cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed?

Jabberwocky40

Scammed?

Hi,

I switched to Plusnet in Apr 22 on their £22.99 broadband offer.  1st bill was was £22.99, then they charged £0.20 bringing it up to £23.19.  Now in May 22 it's £29.89!  I feel scammed, I only got 1 month at the price I agreed to.  I do realise that the T&Cs include an increase of Jan CPI plus 3.9% but I've had a 30% increase, CPI was 5.5% in Jan, not 26.1%.  To add insult to this price increase, the package I took up is still on offer at £22.99 but now includes a £60 reward card.

Has anyone else experienced such a price increase?  

4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Scammed?

@Jabberwocky40  When did your Plusnet contract start? If it was in April 22 you should not have had any price increase. The annual increase was in March, so something else is going on with your bills. You need to check the detailed breakdown of charges to see what has caused the unexpected increase, such as phone call charges etc. Rather than jumping to the conclusion that you have been scammed it could just be errors in the somewhat dodgy billing system. You will need staff assistance to sort it.

Jabberwocky40

I feel scammed.  There are no extras such as calls, they've increased the price and reduced the promotional discount, all in the 2nd month of the contract.  I would have cancelled immediately if it wasn't for the cancellation charge.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

2022 Billing increases

Users have found the first bill following the price changes on 31st March 2022 odd because the brief summary presented at the top of the bill is just that - a summary. It does not reflect the important details of each line as fully described on subsequent pages. The first bill after the price rise, has for each chargeable item and their associated discounts...

1. A refund for the charges already paid on the previous bill (at the old rate) for the period from 31st March to the billing date
  2. A re-charge in arrears (at the new rate) for the period from 31st March to the billing date
  3. The charge at the new rate for the following month (charged in advance)

Consequently comparing this months bill with last months bill can create the impression that it has gone up more than the expected 9.3%. It is also possible that the annual prise rise is coincident with the end of the discounted minimum term, making the increase appear much larger.

Note: In some cases there is a known error on the first bill run which has omitted to adjust applicable discounts.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Jabberwocky40, thanks for getting in touch. I am really sorry for the concern caused with your bills and I can see you have an open ticket on this with a case handler assigned. 

You can view their latest response here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=224301227

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team