Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewing FTTC contract WITH Telephone

FIXED
Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Renewing FTTC contract WITH Telephone

We can only have FTTC and our current contract ends April.

I have read that Plusnet will offer, if you phone them, to renew the contract with the telephone line still in place. The standard Plusnet contract is 2 years but the old telephone system is expected to be dead before then.

So what deal are Plusnet offering renewals who don't want to give up the old phone system just yet?

30 REPLIES 30
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Renewing FTTC contract WITH Telephone

@Sleepboot 

It gives you more time to think about what to do when the PSTN is switched off. Also those with Care Alarms and the like may not yet be in a position to go to VOIP.

If you do renew, you should start thinking about VOIP if you want to keep a landline and your number. PN will let you change to an Internet only account on a SOGEA line when ever you want or are ready.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@Sleepboot You just give them a call and renew your existing contract - FTTC+phone, but be aware the PSTN component will disappear, on current plans - in December 2025, so while still in contract, make plans to replace your current phone-over-copper service before then.

John
bmc
Hero

@Sleepboot 

Just re-read your post. You'll only find out about any deals by phoning PN - try the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632

Brian

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Approximately one month before your contract expires you will be emailed a renewal price for FTTC + phone. Expect a price of around £26 on a 18 month or 24 month contract.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sleepboot  a month ago in this post you said -

@Sleepboot wrote:

I really don't understand the details of VOIP and, at the moment, cannot find one at a sensible price with an unlimited call package and approximately the same scope of service.

Now that you've started this new 'renewing FTTC' topic, I'm sure that if you want some help understanding VoIP and finding a suitable call package, etc,  that forum members here who already themselves have moved to VoIP can answer any questions you might have,  as you've only got maybe 18 months before you will be forced to give up your landline or move to VoIP.

Personally I moved to VoIP last year and found many benefits of doing so - VoIP call charges are typically MUCH lower, call quality is so much clearer than the old system, I get all my calls automatically recorded and emailed to me, your converted broadband (SoGEA) should be a little cheaper than your FTTC, you can have VoIP calls work on BOTH your home phone and with a mobile app at the same time (so you can make/answer 'landline' calls when you're away from home), and for me my broadband speed improved by about 10%.

Sleepboot
Grafter

I have been reading up on VOIP and I tink that I now understand what is going on. I keep being told that VOIP is cheaper but it isn't. My wife spends a lot of time on the phone and we curently have an anytime package which costs £10 per month including calls to mobiles.

A&A are often recommended as cheaper but good & they charge £1.44 a month + 1.5p/min for landline calls & 4p/min for mobiles. As my wife calls a lot of mobile numbers that is only 214 minutes per month to cost the same as our anytime package. She could easily use 4 times that amount.

By the time VOIP is set up, the number transferred and we have purchase the gizmo that lets us connect our existing phones we have also spent the best part of £100.

The may be arguments in favour of VOIP but cheapness isn't one of them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some examples of call plans/charges from other established suppliers -

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/plans/comparison 

https://www.voipify.net/call-charges/ 

https://www.zen.co.uk/phone/digital-voice 

Sleepboot
Grafter

Thank you for those which look much better.

I have been considering Zen as the simple answer to many problems.

jab1
Legend

Zen £6.00/mo for 1000 minutes 'free'.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Zen you get a much better router than Plusnet's, and has everything you need to use your existing phone equipment.

See this YouTube video - Using your existing phone with the Zen router 

Zen broadband also comes with a static IP address, and IPv6 (that Plusnet has failed to deliver)

Sleepboot
Grafter

Thank you all for your extremely quick help.

As suggested I am expecting to bite the bullet and get the whole changeover sorted by the end of April/ contract.

Zen is front runner.

jab1
Legend

From my experience with them - nearly three years - I would say you are making a good choice.

John
bmc
Hero

@Sleepboot 

Just be aware that you lose PN e-mail the day you move (if you move). Not a problem if you don't use it.

Brian

Sleepboot
Grafter

Never used ISP email for that reason. One problem not to have to deal with.