cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract expires soon, will new contract offer landline and keep my number

PurpleNeon

Contract expires soon, will new contract offer landline and keep my number

When my contract is up for renewal in May will it include my landline and if so will I be able to cancell contract without charge when BT remove landline service?

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: Contract expires soon, will new contract offer landline and keep my number

@PurpleNeon 

At present you can renew your internet / landline service as is if you phone PN. Online you'll probably only be offered an internet connection (SOGEA). Try PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what they offer.

At some point before the end of 2025 you will lose the landline. BT are moving their customers onto Digital Voice much earlier but this doesn't affect other ISP's.

If your landline matters then you need to start thinking about VOIP so you're ready when forced / choose to jump. A&A are one firm to consider. Apart from anything else they have godd FAQ pages on the subject.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@PurpleNeon No, if you renew on the same product as now in May, what will happen, hopefully, is that Plusnet will advise you before December 2025 that the PSTN service will cease, and hopefully, offer you suggestions/help.

NOTE: You have previously asked a very similar question here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-number-after-SOGEA/m-p/1947142 , and received answers.

John
Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

I am in much the same position except that my contract expires April. We have the 36mb service with an Anytime call package.

I really don't understand the details of VOIP and, at the moment, cannot find one at a sensible price with an unlimited call package and approximately the same scope of service.

I am hoping that Plusnet will offer me a continuation of what we have, at least until late 2025. If they won't there are other ISP who apparantly will.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Sleepboot - If you renew for exactly the same package you have now, it will continue until the PSTN network is switched off (currently scheduled for December 2025, but who knows). You would be well advised to plan ahead for that though - once it happens - no more copper based phone service - from anyone.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@Sleepboot 

You will probably need to phone PN to get the same service with landline. Try the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 before the end of your contract.

I don't use a landline so can't comment specifically but A&A are reported to offer reasonable deals. What they do have are good FAQ's on the subject of VOIP which are well worth a read to give you a starter for 10.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

Tigger17
Grafter

You could always consider ditching the anytime calls on landline number and go mobile. For £7/month, ID mobile offer 12Gb of data, unlimited minutes and texts, on a 30 day contract, with EU roaming in 50 countries. I find it much more flexible than my previous landline

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Tigger17 wrote:

You could always consider ditching the anytime calls on landline number and go mobile.

Of course, you then have a number linked to a specific mobile phone, rather than a house phone free for anyone who lives there to pick up calls, which may well be useful - even essential - in a family situation.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

For anyone that wants a "house" phone, there is always the option of getting a GSM desk phone - i.e. a phone that looks like a house phone but has a SIM cards and works over the 4G/5G network like a mobile. There are quite a few available, some with big buttons aimed at older family members who are more comfortable with older style phones.