Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renew Broadband Without Line Rental

ashburnhamins
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Renew Broadband Without Line Rental

We have an Unlimited Business Fibre contract (with Static IP address) that expires shortly. We have been advised that if we DON'T renew it goes into a rolling agreement and our price goes from £35.00p/m to £38.74p/m. Further down the same email it says if we DO renew for 24 months you can offer Unlimited Business Fibre and line rental for £22.00 a month.

We are happy to renew but do not require line rental but there does not appear to be an option to remove this when renewing. Can we continue on our existing package at this reduced price? We are happy to commit for 24months.

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Renew Broadband Without Line Rental

@ashburnhamins Sorry, but you do need line rental, otherwise there is no line to your premises, and therefore no FTTC. The broadband signal is carried by your phone line.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Without line rental, there is nothing to deliver the broadband service over.  There are two components, the server delivery channel (the line) and the broadband service to be paid for.  Given that you do not place calls over the delivery channel, there are no additional call charges to be paid for.

Give COTS a call and see what is the best offer for you.

Contact Customer Options

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)

Available 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 7pm Saturday
9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ashburnhamins
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks @jab1 and @Townman

We do have a line specifically for the broadband but this is paid to our phone line providers (a separate company that manages all of our lines and calls). We have kept the broadband/fibre service with Plusnet and have never paid Plusnet for line rental.

It seems this is no longer an option as a new or renewal option. The annoying thing is that I can choose NOT to renew and my service (with no line rental) continues albeit at £38.74p/m instead of £22p/m if I do renew.

I could obviously let Plusnet take over the line rental and pay the lower price but I think my line rental is in contract with the other company so don't want to cause issues there.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

John,

Ah sorry, thank you for the clarification.  We see many around here not wanting to pat for line rental as they say they do not want something they are not using.  I had somewhat forgotten about broadband only contracts where the phone line is provided by a third party.

One can see clear merits in a single provider offering both services - there is no where to hid and it is a single entity when there are problems.

As this is a business service, I would call business support and see what they can do for you.  One would hope that there could be some flexible approach which supports customer retention.

As this is a business service, then maybe a business (cost) perspective might be helpful...

• How much longer does your phone provider's minimum term last?
  • How much extra will you need to pay Plusnet on pay as you go terms for that period?
  • How much will early exit from you phone provider's contract cost you?
  • How does the cost of phone provider plus Plusnet broad band until the end of that minimum period stack up against "cutting your losses" and moving everything to Plusnet at £22pcm +VAT (24 month contract) now?

Whilst the principle of paying to get out might be irksome, it might be cheaper than remaining in a split service provision for the remaining time of that contract.  Consider that the line cost of the £22 package is IIRC £18.50+VAT, so the broadband is peanuts.

That last thought you might ask the business support if the continuation fee mentions above mistakenly includes line rental.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've checked with our business sales team leader and I'm afraid we no longer sell broadband only packages for business as well as residential, so we wouldn't be able to recontract you without bringing your phone across. 

@Townman wrote:

Contact Customer Options

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)

Available 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
9am - 7pm Saturday
9am - 6pm Sunday

As a side note, the Business Customer Options Team are only open 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet