Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My recent bill increase

Reddog
Grafter

My recent bill increase

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how my bill has gone from £35.93 a month to £47.17 a month.

I was told this by email - On 31st March 2023 the price for your Plusnet services will be increasing by £5.17 a month. So why has it gone up so much already? I don't get it.

So on 31st March 2023 my 80/20 copper line will cost me £52.34? I don't think i can afford that. That's an increase of £16.41 a month.

Can someone please tell me when is my contract is up so i can at least look for a cheaper deal somewhere else.

I've been loyal to PN for a very long time but this is too much for someone like me on sickness benefits which is no fault of my own.

I didn't mind the 31st March 2023 the price increase of £5.17 a month but an increase of £16.41 is ridiculous.

I thank you for many years of reliable internet service but maybe it's time for me to jump ship.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: My recent bill increase

When does your contract end, @Reddog ?

John
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

First thing that comes to mind there, are you sure you haven't come out of contract already?

That kind of jump suggests a contract discount has ended-with line rental about £25 and fibre extra? Running similar that price looks like an out of contract price.

Check the lines in the bill at £47.17 compared to the one before-are you missing a discount? If you are then either it's time to talk to COT about a new contract (or elsewhere of course) if your out of contract, or customer service if you're still in contract but the discount has dropped off.
Reddog
Grafter

Yes you're correct i think my contract is up and a discount has ended.

Still though i'd be stupid to not move away from PN as i can get a 2 year contract with a rival for between £20 - £30.

So say 2 years of £30 a month with only a small increase after that.

I'm gutted cause i do like PN but it would be silly for me to continue paying such a high price.

Seems PN is forcing people out with their pricing. I know it's a hassle moving ISP but it might be my only option.

To keep me at PN my thoughts are £40 tops anything over that isn't worth it for me, especially for a 80/20 copper line.

btw can i move to BT as i thought PN was owned by BT. Not many options here but both Sky and TT and BT have good offers on the table right now.

You'd think PN would of offered me a new contract but they haven't. I'd be willing to sign a new 2 year contract but only if the price is right.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

I'd have a word with the COT team first before moving on, though looking around at what's on offer wont hurt when it comes to bargaining with them.

Depends on if you have call plans and the like but for BB and the line PN are usually on the lower end of the pricing scale-not the cheapest but I'd be amazed if it's near the £40 mark! More like high 20's for FTTC. Out of contract pricing is quite high (that's not just PN either) but in contract you can usually get something decent, especially if you're otherwise happy with it.

Will mention by the way that Plusnet do send out an email when you're coming up to contract ending, usually a month or two before and normally with a renewal offer. Maybe you didn't see it, but can't really say they haven't offered if we're being fair, and again none of this contract ending stuff is Plusnet unique, pretty much every ISP price jumps up out of contract.

If you do want to move on, PN being BT owned is pretty much irrelevant. There's a few areas where you can move between the two without contract fees (usually unique requirements that BT can offer that PN don't) but for simple moves and out of contract, they're effectively separate ISPs and contract is a none issue.
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

FYI number for COT, or retentions as probably better known is 0800 013 2632
Reddog
Grafter

Maybe you're right about PN sending me a contract renewal email but i either didn't see it or maybe i just thought the contract just renews automatically after a certain time.

If they don't reply to me here then i suppose i need to talk to the COT team then.

I really don't want to leave and i'm happy with the service but i first need to know what they'll offer me for my FTTC line.

If i did move ISP then it's likely they'd want an up front payment as well which would be tough for me to afford atm. Sad

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Being a contract discussion reddog they couldn't offer anything specific on here-public forum and all that. Best they could do is arrange a call from COT, and in the meantime you'll be billing at out of contract prices.

Pretty sure you can renew in the online account as well (not looked for a long time myself!) but naturally can't discuss it with a computer.

Honestly, my advice is get on the blower to them as soon as you can. COT don't tend to have much of a queue and without knowing if the line situation is the same as your last contract (FTTP rollout) there's always a possibility that a change of product isn't necessary.