cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house - Plusnet does not supply a service

Emmahogarthh

Moving house - Plusnet does not supply a service

I am moving house in the next 2 weeks, apparently Plusnet doesn’t provide a service to this house, I have had no choice to move house. What are my options? Will I be charged?

9 REPLIES 9
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Re: Moving house - Plusnet does not supply a service

Does the house you are moving to have a landline phone ? If so plusnet should be able to supply a decent internet speed from local telephone exchange down the landline,  even if the previous tenants had landline disconnected I am sure that the wiring will still be there - just not connected in exchange...

Emmahogarthh

It’s a new house so I’m not entirely sure, I’ll have to ask

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Emmahogarthh wrote:

I am moving house in the next 2 weeks, apparently Plusnet doesn’t provide a service to this house, I have had no choice to move house. What are my options? Will I be charged?

@Emmahogarthh wrote:

It’s a new house ...

@Emmahogarthh 

As it's a new house it's quite possible that the only connection to it is full-fat fibre (none of that VDSL malarky), i.e. FTTP.

If so, unfortunately PN don't supply FTTP (yet?) other than to those of us who are fortunate enough to be on their 'now-closed-to-new-entrants' FTTP 'trial', which means that you'll have to approach other suppliers such as BT, Zen and a few others.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Emmahogarthh 

Using the following link to check. As you don't have a phone number use the Address version, type in the Post Code only and then select the address from the drop down list provided.

www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

From the results look in the left hand column. Does it say "WBC FTTP" or VDSL

The first is full fibre which PlusNet don't offer, the second is FTTC which they do.

Brian

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from General Chat to Accounts / Billing and escalated.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Our estate was built in 1996 and even then it had all the underground ducting for internet etc installed by Telewest ( later Virgin media ) - but they did not actually offer any broadband service on the estate until about 2010 - so a long wait and in the meantime we had AOL adsl ( obviously if Labour had been in power we would have had it free,  just had a thought Labour were in power from 1997 till 2010 so what happened to my free broadband ? )

If house is on a recently built estate the ducting will be there - and probably a green pipe sticking up somewhere by front door,  all you need to do is find out if any street cabinets and who the provider is - may be BT. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Emmahogarthh wrote:

As previously stated your options depend on why Plusnet cannot provide a service. The bad news is that if they can't, meaning that you have to cancel part way through a fixed contract, you will probably be hit with cancellation charges. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @Emmahogarthh

I'm really sorry to hear that we don't provide service to your premises. 

As advised by our community members, should we be unable to provide a service and acknowledge this before processing a Home Move, any early termination fees would be applicable I'm afraid. The reason for this is that the contract agreed is address specific. 

However, we're more than happy to check over this for you and I have requested the new address in full via SMS and ticket which can be viewed here

Kind Regards

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@RobPN wrote:

As it's a new house it's quite possible that the only connection to it is full-fat fibre (none of that VDSL malarky), i.e. FTTP.

It's also entirely possible that the developer didn't go with Openreach at all, and instead used one of the 'altnets' to provide service, such as OFNL (previously IFNL) for example...