Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgot Password doesn't work

Fed-up-Fred
Hooked

Forgot Password doesn't work

Hi all.
Sorry in advance for the "essay"
Before I posted this question/problem I have used the search option on many topics but I haven't found a solution to the problem I have.
I cannot get to see, read my emails, I forgot my new password..

I have been using Plusnet for over, or about 20 + years, both as phone and broadband customer (Haha 28mb dial up modem in those days).
For the past gawd knows how many years I have been using just the basic Plusnet Webmail as I have found it so easy and I'm not dazzled by all the glitzy stuff like Gmail or Hotmail.
My problem is, because I'm not a Plusnet "customer" as such anymore I can't get through the security questions when asked because I keep getting asked by the technical team, and Forgot Password page what certain characters are of my password that I used 20+ years ago?
Yes I have changed my password a few times over the years but very recently I had a clear out of cookies, browser cache and accidentally passwords when I got a new PC.

So, I open up Plusnet forget password and this is what I see.
*Forgot your password?*
Just enter your broadband account username or email address below and we'll get you back on track.*

Ok, I enter my Plusnet account username that I signed up with all those years ago and then I see this page.

*Check your email
Please keep your eyes peeled on your emails.
Please check your email, you should find a message from us with details on how to reset your password sent to the main contact email address on your account.
This will include all the info you need to reset your password.*

With me so far?
Well that's no good because I can't log into my emails because I can't remember the latest password.
I've tried all the old passwords with variations but no luck.
I've tried some of my other Plusnet email address and passwords but again no luck,  I get the same ole forgot password page. Of course I fill that in and it sends a link to reset my password for that alias. Hmm I can't log in to read it.

Any Plusnet technical people that can help please.
18 REPLIES 18
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Forgot Password doesn't work

Presumably the correct password is on your router connecting you to the internet. Hmm... but it’s probably obscured. Maybe a way to access it by backing up the router settings?
That's RPM to you!!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@RPMozley  I don't think so, OP is no longer a Plusnet broadband customer and isn't the password just displayed as ******** on a router?

RPMozley
Pro

@RealAleMadrid I do not see anywhere in the OP’s post that they are no longer a PlusNet customer.
Also I did mention that the password was obscured in the router’s interface and to retrieve it, it might be possible by using a backup settings to a file on computer.

Please read more carefully before replying.
That's RPM to you!!
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@RPMozley  It must have been the following in the post  .... "My problem is, because I'm not a Plusnet "customer" as such anymore" which appears on further scrutiny to be untrue. 🤔

Fed-up-Fred
Hooked

" appears on further scrutiny to be untrue" Huh 

I don't understand your comment about this, or do you think something I have said being untrue ? 🤔🤔

I changed my HOME phone and broadband provider, which was Plusnet, many years ago but I still use the Plusnet Webmail which is free and have been doing so ever since I joined Plusnet 20+ years ago.
I also have a Gmail account that I seldom use for personal use. e.g utility suppliers, friends and family etc.

I have several Plusnet email address that I use for different things and can only get onto one of them, but I/you can't get onto one of them because I know the pass word for that one as I did not change that one.

I simply go to webmail.plus.net and log in by choosing the alias/Plusnet email address  want. e.g. abcxyz123+utilities to see all my emails and details of all my utility suppliers in one place.

You may not remember but when this internet "thing" started you didn't have the security like you do now. Who can forget the headache and problems AOL caused Sad . No Google, no Gmail or Hotmail or Outlook, the best for me was Yahoo.

I go my first proper tower PC in the mid to late 80's upgraded to Windows 95 and the list of changes goes on and on but Plusnet webmail knocked, and still does knock them all into a cocked hat so I do not need anything else. 

Now imagine loosing all the conversations, appointments etc. you have over the last 10 years

Short version; !!????Huh

1. Go to the members center, www.plus.net/member-centre/login 
  2. Enter Username OR email address.
    !  "This will be the username you created when first signing up. You can find it in the email we sent to you when you joined" (don't enter any of your Plusnet email addresses they won't work, you'll be directed to follow steps 1 to 9)
  3. Enter Password This is the password you created when first signing up.

**If you can't remember it, we'll email the address you gave us with a link to reset it.**

4. Click forgot password. Enter your username. Your username is the thing you use to sign in to our website. Your email address is the one we use to contact you. Can't remember either? Call 0800 432 0200 (or 0345 140 0200 if you're outside the UK).
  5. Click "Email link to reset my password"
  6. Read next page.  Check your email !
  7. Please keep your eyes peeled on your emails. Please check your email, you should find a message from us with details on how to reset your password sent to the main contact email address on your account.
  8. Repeat steps 1 to 7 above constantly for the next millennium. Why? because YOU FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD AND CAN'T LOGIN TO SEE THE EMAIL YOU'VE BEEN SENT! But why can't you see the email you've been sent?  because YOU FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD AND CAN'T LOGIN TO SEE THE EMAIL YOU'VE BEEN SENT! 
  9. Or phone 0800 432 0200 and speak to some very understand and very helpful technicians who, unfortunately, through no fault of their own, are unable to help (even though they genuinely wanted to by the sounds of their voices) due to me not remembering a password I used to sign up to Plusnet some 20+ years ago.
  10. Follow steps 1 to 10 above

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Now imagine loosing all the conversations, appointments etc. you have over the last 10 years

I have, which is why I would never trust to leaving such information on a freebie email platform, especially with an ex ISP with which I no longer had a contractual association, without a back up. That is regardless of whether I had kept a note of the password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@RPMozley  Looks like I was right in the first place the OP is an email only customer.

Fed-up-Fred
Hooked

Thanks.
I have looked at at the logs and other places on my DSL ASUS N16 router and as I expected nothing logged in there.

But thank you for your suggestion ☝

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Fed-up-Fred
Hooked

What is the point in replying to my question if all you want to do is boast how clever you THINK you are.
You obviously have no idea what I am talking about or asking you just want to show off 

Tags (1)
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Fed-up-Fred  Sorry for the confusion, it was just a misunderstanding, I had assumed from your post that you were no longer a Plusnet Broadband customer, however another poster disagreed and I wasn't sure. 

I can now categorically state that  "My problem is, because I'm not a Plusnet "customer" as such anymore" is true.😀

Fed-up-Fred
Hooked

Thank you.

My reply was aimed at   .
As I have stated, I have been a paying Plusnet customer for many years but I, like many others, changed my broadband suppliers several times over the years for whatever reason. In fact I would think I was would have been somewhere in the 1st couple of hundred to sign up to Plusnet.

However, I believe that because I was a paying customer and using all that Plusnet had to offer "back in the day" all my settings haven't changed, we just canceled our contract back then and I still use the basic webmail as I say, it is so easy, plain and simple.

No whizzy flashy web pages, no adverts WHATSOEVER. Less than a handful of spam emails a year using 6 or more Plusnet email addresses and only ever been hacked on only one of those email addresses once in 20+ years. I don't think there are many around today that can say that!

Follow steps 1 to 7 but remember you forgot your password (if that makes sense)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Fed-up-Fred 

I’m sorry if I phrased my post wrong and ruffled your feathers. I was really trying to point out to all who are following this post the folly of leaving important messages on a third party server with no back up.

There are so many ways that you can find yourself locked out. Personally I would never trust any third party to be the sole keeper of important emails regardless of any contractual arrangements.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RPMozley
Pro

@RealAleMadrid Ok +1 to you (it was a bit confusing) but I did get the other thing right. +1 to me. That makes it 1-1, a score draw or is it extra time / penalties? 😋

Anyway, @Fed-up-Fred your situation is complicated, can't remember password and resetting password can't be done by usual means as the same password is needed to access the email account.

In the old days you could get a temporary password sent to you by snail mail but that might have been with another service and by now it's probably not available.

Maybe a PlusNet staff member could PM you the reset password link?

That's RPM to you!!