Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

FIXED
joao12021996
Dabbler

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

Not sure if this helps or not, but I noticed in France that my phone was on 4G for a brief moment. It then went to display nothing (like when you are connected to a network for emergency calls only). I saw the 4g symbol for a couple seconds there. No idea what network I connected to.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Thanks for the info!

I've had an update from Complex Investigations to tell me that they don't need further examples. They're actively working on getting to the bottom of the root cause to hopefully resolve once and for all. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeT

Ok three posts

yes tele number, ported in, ends 8656
NigeT

3rd post...

no I'm back in UK
Netherlands 19th - 22nd july
planned for Canaries in September
passau91

Sorry, I cannot work out how to add a post in the thread. First off, thank you for taking the time to look at this issue!

I had the same issue while in Germany from last Wednesday to yesterday. From reading EE forum posts, it appears that EE "forgot" that it now has no roaming partner in Germany (since T-Mobile became Telekom.de (apparently this was many years ago)), which means that anyone piggy-backing on EE (which is Plusnet) has the same issue.  Automatic network selection will leave you with no roaming option at all, and manually selecting one of the three German providers (o2.de, Telekom.de or Vodafone.de) will only ever give you Edge connection for data (2G).  More widely, from the same forums, it seems that EE haven't revisited their partner agreements in a long time, so people roaming in Czechia, Iceland, Austria etc. have the same issues.  In other countries where roaming does work, there are complaints it is limited to 3G...

I only switched to Plusnet for the roaming (truth be told), so I'm now sorely disappointed, and if I had the option, I would now switch away again, but I fear I'm locked in until the end of the 12 month contract.

julez

Hi @Gandalf - I've just returned from France where I had these issues.  Great to hear this is being investigated but looks like it's been ongoing for a while now.  Any ETA on the fix?  Do you need me to provide any details in order to resolve or will the fix be "pushed" out?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don’t have a timeframe and I don’t know what the fix will look like at the moment, however when I’ve got something to share, I’ll be sure to post back to let you know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
superpp71
Dabbler

For anyone about to travel, you can get a 5gb SIM with EU roaming for £2.45 from LycaMobile currently via uswitch.com

It's a rolling month contract, so just cancel within the month.

I'm going to get one of these and pop it into my 2nd SIM slot, my wife can then use me as a hotspot too.

joao12021996
Dabbler

Not sure if I'm the only one, but for the past 30min I do have 4G. The connection is dodgy but I'm in the mountains as well. Still, the speed test was far higher than anything I could get on 3g. I'm in Bern, Switzerland.
tamarin64
Dabbler

Yep, I am also getting 4G for the first time abroad!

Signal is also bad where I am at the moment, but that is indeed a local issue here Wink
JW4
Hooked

Ditto - 4G in France using Orange F.
passau91

Fingers crossed recent posts indicate there might be hope this issue with roaming is fixed for next time, but ... just to say (not sure if it's OK to promote a rival service, but heh, if we're not getting data when roaming...) Lebara currently have several 30 day "contracts" options, one where you can get 12GB per month for £1.40 for the first six months, when it rises to £6.90 (but you have the option not to renew after any 30 day period) - they use the Vodafone network and LycaMobile apparently uses o2.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JW4@tamarin64@joao12021996

Excellent! Glad that you can get 4G abroad now. I can imagine it'd make it infinitely easier to enjoy your holiday. 

We found an issue which we've fixed. If anyone else is still having issues, can you let me know? Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
passau91

@Gandalf  just out of interest, does that fix cover Germany as well?

superpp71
Dabbler

Have these been fixed on specific accounts, or will I now have confidence mine will work in Munich in 2 weeks time?