Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Unable to access 4G services whilst roaming

@bestregards wrote:

The number that gets 4g is 07460 and the one that gets 3g starts with 07415

07460 is Hutchison 3G UK Ltd

07415 is EE

Interesting!!

For anyone else interested in profiling this issue by original network owner, you can find the range holder for your mobile number here - https://ukcalling.uboss.com/Calling/UkPhoneNumberRangeHolders

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hokers
Dabbler

I was previously with EE.

Did anyone have the issue with a number that wasn't ported into PlusNet from another network?

arkitect
Dabbler

I registered on the Forums to add my experience with Roaming in Europe.

February in Italy…

10 Days in Rome and my service was to put it mildly, poor.

3G if I was lucky. Mostly Edge. Far too often… No Service.

May/June Greece:

14 days in Greece.

As above in Rome. 3G at best (Not once did I see the magic 4G) Mostly I was stuck on Edge! Not even 3G just Edge. Or, yes, you guessed it, No Service.

Thank god for Downloaded Google Maps.

Now again, this might just be my problem or local network issues.

But!

How does that explain why my partner (exact same model of phone) on GiffGaff Roaming was laughing it off with 4G all the way. I was standing right next to him with No Service and he was happily connected by 4G.

I tried rebooting my iPhone. Rinse and repeat…

Oh, and using his GiffGaff sim card in my iPhone? You're not going to be surprised to hear I had the same good quality of reception. Switch back to Plusnet and… back to Edge I go.

After a few days I caved in and bought a prepaid Greek Sim and used it in my backup phone.

What on earth is going on Plusnet? What is the use of all this Roaming malarkey if you cannot make any use of it?

(BTW, trying to get registered on this forum is another saga. P*ss-ups in breweries come to mind, Plusnet… Perhaps concentrate less on the matey-ness and more on the actual service?)

martin2345uk
Dabbler

So glad I found this thread!!!

Currently in Menorca, roaming on the Movistar network and am only getting 3G! My partner who’s on EE is getting 4G and it’s massively annoying!

I’ve an iPhone XR, my number was ported into Plusnet from Vodafone.

Manually selecting other operators out here usually results in having no data connection at all!!!
hokers
Dabbler

Out of interest, was your number ported to Plusnet from another operator? You can check with the tool that Townman posted above.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that it's a bug that Plusnet have with the way they are porting numbers onto their service - for some reason they don't get the same roaming settings as their own numbers - just needs them to identify it properly and roll a fix out.

Please help if the staff ask you for details so they can add you to whatever support ticket is being worked on - the quicker they identify it, the quicker we'll all get proper data services again!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@arkitect wrote:

What on earth is going on Plusnet? What is the use of all this Roaming malarkey if you cannot make any use of it?

(BTW, trying to get registered on this forum is another saga. P*ss-ups in breweries come to mind, Plusnet… Perhaps concentrate less on the matey-ness and more on the actual service?)

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Hi @arkitect 

There is a known issue under investigation with registration emails being sent to some mail service providers.

As for the roaming issue, who is the range holder for your mobile number - that is who was the original provider?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arkitect
Dabbler

@Townman 

Originally came from O2… then GiffGaff… now Plusnet.

07515••••••

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Seems its time for a new piece of boiler-plate help!

Where did your number come from?

It might help to profile this issue by knowing the original network owner for your phone number. You can find the range holder for your phone number here - https://ukcalling.uboss.com/Calling/UkPhoneNumberRangeHolders

07515 Telefonica UK Limited

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

I'm really sorry for the continued issues that you're experiencing with getting 4g abroad and problems this causes!

Can you please send me over a PM with the following so I can pass this onto our Team to help with their investigation:

Account ref/mobile number:

Dates you were away:

Issue that occurred:

Make and model of handset:

Software version:

Many thanks Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
martin2345uk
Dabbler

How many posts do you need to be able to PM again?

Edit: I’ve now sent you the PM Lauren with the requested info
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@martin2345uk  I beleive it is 3

You should be good to go now.

martin2345uk
Dabbler

Any updates on this issue? Obvs much too late for me this time as I fly home on Tuesday but in august I’m going to Berlin and if this isn’t fixed by then I’ll be changing provider to one who can offer 4G while roaming..!
arkitect
Dabbler

@martin2345uk

Agree.

Plusnet, any update on the 4G roaming issue?

If Plusnet is only going to offer (some of us) a very poor roaming service, then I'll be switching as well. Which is a pity as the usual UK service is perfectly adequate.

Just the roaming is abysmal.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Good Morning, we have been informed by our team that they are still liaising with other teams and investigating this further.

I'm really sorry for the disruption this is causing in the meantime!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team