Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam calls in Chinese

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Spam calls in Chinese

Well its still hapening from an 030 number.
Phone in question is used as a "Bikephone" only my riding mate and my wife know the number, I dont answer it - the phone is used as a fancy pager. If it goes off I pull over at some convienient point (for me!) and respond or not.
But ..... the Chinese/HK spammers know it .... when will it end?

When will plusnet stop usuing a batch of numbers bought on the cheap from Hong Kong? 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

FYI....
Main phone is on silent in a waterproof jacket pocket.
4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 72

Re: Spam calls in Chinese

@Bogbody I'm sure your comment about the source of the numbers was tongue-in-cheek, because you know HK mobile numbers wouldn't work on the UK networks?

Other than that, I'm guessing some 'enterprising' oriental has decided to follow the wonks on the Indian sub-continent to try and con people.

John
orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes I still get these on my Plusnet mobile, Chinese (I assume) voice so not likely to scam me anyway, just annoying and this was a number issued by Plusnet. 

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 72

Doesn't matter who 'issued' the number, @orby, the spammers merely autodial a block of numbers, and if your number is in that block, your phone will ring.

John
Stoker
Rising Star

Getting these once a day or more, so I installed NoPhoneSpam (Android) which lets me block calls by wildcard eg 076*, or calls from any number not in my contacts list.

This works (I get a notification that a call was blocked) *however* they still leave a (Chinese) voicemail message.

Can Plusnet do anything to stop a blocked/rejected call leaving a voicemail? One possibility would be for the voicemail prompt to say something like "press 9 to leave a message" which would at least foil the autodiallers.