cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported number to another network yet old PlusNet SIM still works!

cmkessell
Dabbler

Ported number to another network yet old PlusNet SIM still works!

I ported my number to another network a few days ago and it all seems fine.  I thought that the old PlusNet SIM would be automatically deactivated on that day and my account here closed.  However, I just tried the old SIM in an old phone and it still works, I can still make calls using it!  And my PlusNet mobile account page is still live.

Does the PlusNet SIM continue to work until the end of the current monthly billing period?  Or do I need to contact PlusNet to get my account closed?  

16 REPLIES 16
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Ported number to another network yet old PlusNet SIM still works!

Do calls to your phone number go to the new SIM?

If you call your new SIM from your old Plusnet SIM what number does it say is calling?

cmkessell
Dabbler

Calls to my mobile do go correctly to the new SIM. 

If I call my new SIM from the old one it displays the ported number as the caller, i.e. the old SIM is still associated with my number even though it no longer receives calls. 

It's weird.

brookheather
Rising Star

I ported out of Plusnet to Lebara on Wednesday and my Plusnet account is still active - on previous port outs it closed the next day I believe so not sure why it hasn't closed out after two days - will wait till next week and contact CS if still not closed down.  Perhaps there is a manual process and they have large numbers of ports now happening.

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
cmkessell
Dabbler

My port was also on Wednesday so perhaps we are in a queue.  I'll do the same as you and wait a few days.

brookheather
Rising Star

My Plusnet sim card is still active and receiving calls from EE mobiles - I asked Lebara to fix this today but still receiving these calls on the old sim.  Not sure what else to try?  I've asked Plusnet to close the old account but no response to my email yet.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @brookheather I've just popped a private message over to you, please get back to me with the details I asked for and I'll be able to help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Allium

Hi @adamwalker ,

i spoke with one of your plusnet colleagues this morning as I am in the same situation (incoming plusnet calls/sms stil go to plusnet and not the lebara sim)  - your colleague they told me that the plusnet account would only be closed once Lebara had completed the port successfully - and it had to be Lebara that instigated the full completion (ie also take the lead on fixing any issues).  I was also advised to leave my direct debit in tact as i would still be charged up to the point lebara finally complete the port 

cmkessell
Dabbler

Just to clarify, my problem is slightly different to others who have replied to my original port in that (thankfully) incoming calls DO go correctly to my new SIM.  The problem is that my old Plusnet SIM is still active, a week since I ported my number away from Plusnet to SMARTY.  While the old SIM no longer receives incoming calls I can still make calls from it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Just to clarify, my problem is slightly different to others who have replied to my original port in that (thankfully) incoming calls DO go correctly to my new SIM. 

@cmkessell I'm not sure it is different. Do calls from from a phone on the EE network go to your new SIM ?

AIUI for the others reporting an issue, calls from outside the EE network go to their new SIM BUT calls from inside go to the old SIM. This would indicate that EE havent updated their routing for the number, and still think its on their network.

As others have said though, its primarily the responsibility of the gaining network to resolve porting issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cmkessell
Dabbler

I just double-checked by calling myself from another Plusnet phone and it did go to my new SIM, so it looks like my EE routing has been updated.  They just haven't disabled the old SIM. 

gailj
Hooked

Hi Adam Walker.  I have the same problem as many on this page.  I have ported to Lebara but my Plusnet SIM card is still active, receiving calls and messages from EE users, which incidentally seem to include my bank.  Please share the solution with us.  I have contacted Plusnet and they said they were closing my account but that hasn't happened.  Should we be taking this up with Lebara?  Thanks for any guidance. GailJ

gailj
Hooked

Hi everyone, I called Lebara CS (the receiving provider) today and now my Plusnet SIM is cancelled and all calls/texts are coming to the Lebara SIM. This was done within a few hours of my call so definitely the way to go.  Just need to get my Plusnet account closed now....

cmkessell
Dabbler

In my case my transfer was to SMARTY, not Lebara, but fortunately my old Plusnet SIM does finally appear to have died.  So hopefully the issue is now resolved.

brookheather
Rising Star

I just checked my old Plusnet sim and it looks like it is now disconnected and my Plusnet account is showing 0MB for my plan so hopefully it will be finally closed tomorrow.