Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet not providing an unlock code

catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet not providing an unlock code

Not very happy with +Net...

Father in law has a Plusnet-locked Samsung Galaxy. I rang Plusnet to get a PUK unlock code - Did not work, I tried again - did not work. Rang them again and they gave me a different code that again did not work. The phone now needs an MCK code.

I rang Plusnet who said someone would ring me back. When asked was told "very soon", minutes, hours? "A few minutes"

That was yesterday afternoon and no one from Plusnet has rung my father-in-law back.

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 421

Re: Plusnet not providing an unlock code

@catshill1 

Are you sure that it's a 'Plusnet locked' phone? I was not aware that Plusnet ever supplied phones.

Are you sure that it's not a phone that's locked to EE, which will work with a Plusnet SIM? If so you need the PUK from EE.

It could be that the CSA is confused and giving you one of the PAC or STAC codes.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Father in law has a Plusnet-locked Samsung Galaxy

I didnt think that Plusnet ever supplied phones ?

I rang Plusnet to get a PUK unlock code 

A PUK code is ONLY to unlock a SIM for which the PIN code has been forgotten, it does not unlock the phone.

Are you trying to unlock the phone to move to a new network ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catshill1
Rising Star

Thank you for that information - I am going to check. I believe he bought it from an EE store.

catshill1
Rising Star

The phone is asking for an MCK code when we inset the new (Lebara) sim. It works if we use the Plusnet sim.

Smith7
All Star
Fixes: 3

I would look on EBay for £1.19 you can get the MCK code so no being messed around 

You get the code very quickly I've used it     Try  eBay item number:325105630766

Good luck 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

https://www.netpal.co.uk/how-to-get-your-samsung-mck-code-and-unlock-your-phone/

Sounds like your phone is locked to the EE network

edit: if youve been trying the Plusnet supplied PUK code with the Lebara sim, that probably explains why its now asking for the MCK code. The PUK code Plusnet gave you would have been for the Plusnet sim. To get the PUK code for the Lebara sim you can use your Lebara online account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catshill1
Rising Star

The phone was purchased from an EE store but only used on Plusnet.

The facility on the EE site to enter the IMEI number is broken (there is a long thread on their forums about this) so my father-in-law rang EE who told him they couldn't unlock the phone. He then took it to an EE store who also said they couldn't unlock it. They recommended a phone repair shop close by. Unfortunately, I wasn't there and he was charged £25 and told to come back on Tuesday when they would have the code to unlock it. I am aware this isn't a Plusnet issue but it's not been a nice experience for an 86-year-old.

catshill1
Rising Star

Of course, the phone shop will be using NetPal (£17.49) and charging him for their time to inset the MCK which is fair enough I suppose.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd be raising a complaint to EE 

Firstly its been against Ofcom rules to sell a locked phone since Dec 21 https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2021/mobile-companies-now-banned-from-selling-locked-handsets

Secondly they are obliged to unlock a phone that's over a year old https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/unlock-mobile-phone-how-to.html

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 267

Just out curiosity, @catshill1, how old is the phone? - they have all had to be sold as unlocked for a good couple of years now, and it must have been 'unlocked to enable the PN SIM to be installed and used anyway.

@MisterW Good points - you posted whilst I was typing.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

and it must have been 'unlocked to enable the PN SIM to be installed and used anyway

@jab1 not if it was network locked to EE. Plusnet use EE so it would be fine.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 267

@MisterW Didn't think of that, but as we don't know how old it is...

John
catshill1
Rising Star

It's a Galaxy A20E and he thinks it was purchased in 2020 but he no longer has the receipt from the EE shop. I've entered a complaint on the EE site but I don't hold out much hope for anything.

Although this is really on EE, I'm still annoyed with Plusnet who didn't have a clue and the two codes they submitted actually made the problem worse because that used up the three attempts. Hence the need for an MCK code. They also said they'd ring back which of course they didn't.

Smith7
All Star
Fixes: 3

@catshill1 wrote:

It's a Galaxy A20E

Hi Again,

So you didn't try getting a code from EBay  ?

Could have saved him  £23.81  🤔🤔🤔