Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

xswitchback
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

@Simon54 @Mr_Paul @Smith7 

Thank you all. I admit I've been eyeing up Lebara but I know some others have had issues with it, too. Luck of the draw, perhaps, when you port. I barely use enough data to cover 1 GB let alone more most months, so I like barebone basics.

EE I feel has a lot of future price rises in store and their 'exclusive Plusnet customer' offers given when first notified of the network close I found, personally, rather distasteful. I'm glad you're happy with them, though, @Mr_Paul and that's what matters most. I might do a bit more digging to see if I can squeeze a better deal from them.

If there's anything I can advise to others, do not move over to Smarty. It took them a full week to port my number over and they tried to blame Plusnet every step of the way. Despite it being technical issues on their end according to an agent. Or five. Their community isn't very pleasant either - see this thread for evidence of the whole ordeal. https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/port-in-delay/td-p/11355

Hope it's enough to dissuade others.

emilygm

did you receive a text from EE or an email to confirm your previous number had switched over? currently in the process of moving to EE and am just curious! haven’t switched for such a long time I can’t remember!
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@xswitchback wrote:

Where is everyone moving to?

I'm also watching and waiting. The missus is on O2 so I want to remain on a different network from her. We use 3 for home Internet, so ideally my mobille should be on EE or Vodafone. 

I wish Plusnet would give some idea of timescale.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@aesmith 

"The missus is on O2 so I want to remain on a different network from her. We use 3 for home Internet, so ideally my mobille should be on EE or Vodafone."

Similar for me: the rest of my family are on O2, (and refuse to change, despite the cost!), so it has to be one of the other three MNOs or their MVNOs for me.  👍

Do people not consider network diversity to be a factor when choosing a mobile network supplier? From posts on these forums, people's main considerations seem to be cost and EU Roaming?

I know that many people - particularly the "younger generation" it seems - may have a landline to carry their ADSL/FTTC broadband, but don't have a phone to plug in to it. Evidence the number of posts in the PN broadband forums from people who cannot do a Quiet Line Test.

I think that network diversity will become more of a potential issue over the next 2-3 years as the landline PSTN network is closed down and more people decide not to bother with VOIP - we may well take the opportunity to drop the "landline" at that point.

I also notice the number of posters who Work From Home and say that their broadband connection is "vital" for them - yet they have no diverse backup in case it fails! 

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I was going to take advantage of a good offer from Lyca on USwitch - 6GB data for £2.38 per month for 3 months then £4.90

Lyca made a decision for me whether to switch. I tried 5 times to complete order, the first 4 times card payment failed as it didn't wait for bank verification, and the last time I got "The request could not be resolved by the server."

I gave up. If this is Lyca quality, I say no thanks. Need to keep shopping around. Shame as it's a good deal.

pkw
Aspiring Pro

I wish Plusnet would give some idea of timescale.

I spoke to CS a couple of days ago and was told by the end of the year and that they are emailing customers in batches.

I also wish it was clearer but at least we have some idea.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@pkw wrote:

.I gave up. If this is Lyca quality, I say no thanks. Need to keep shopping around. Shame as it's a good deal.

Good afternoon,

If you need the EE signal I would look at RWG they use EE but don't advertise or show up on USwich etc

They do some very good deals 

Pay upfront £40 for 5GB U/L U/L that's £3.33 per month or various plans a Teaser Plus  2GB U/L U/L for £3.50

And if you need extra Data at any time they do and extra 5GB for just if needed is just £5 lasts 30 days 

Just a 30 day plan 

I use RWG for my back up/spare phone and find them very good .It's very hard to speak to anyone  ( the same as PN ) but they answer emails very quickly 

Have a look   https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/

pkw
Aspiring Pro

@Smith7 wrote:

@pkw wrote:

.I gave up. If this is Lyca quality, I say no thanks. Need to keep shopping around. Shame as it's a good deal.

Good afternoon,

If you need the EE signal I would look at RWG they use EE but don't advertise or show up on USwich etc

They do some very good deals 

Pay upfront £40 for 5GB U/L U/L that's £3.33 per month or various plans a Teaser Plus  2GB U/L U/L for £3.50

And if you need extra Data at any time they do and extra 5GB for just if needed is just £5 lasts 30 days 

Just a 30 day plan 

I use RWG for my back up/spare phone and find them very good .It's very hard to speak to anyone  ( the same as PN ) but they answer emails very quickly 

Have a look   https://www.rwgmobile.wales/rates-plans-eng-per/

Thanks, that certainly looks like a good option, although I'm more inclined to go with better known operators. I'm guessing the EE coverage of RWG would be same as PN and Lyca? 

JReesings
Hooked

Understood, however contracts do not necessarily mean closure, there are quite a few new providers now with no contracts at all, It's a shame about Plusnet and going from contracts to none is a dead big giveaway but its also about freedom. I have the freedom to come and go with my provider Popit Mobile, no contracts and I feel like I can do as I please, if i find something better I can just leave but for now I would recommend popit if your looking for another provider https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/

JReesings
Hooked

Would recommend Popit Mobile to anyone looking for the same network but far less restrictions https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/

JReesings
Hooked

Cant fault Popit Mobile, same network no hassle https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/

pkw
Aspiring Pro

@JReesings your messages are beginning to look like spam...

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

After a quick check of reviews and Companies House I think it is more like a scam than spam - reviews are very mixed and questionable.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Mustrum  Prices don't look that good either.☹️

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Bit late to the party it appears, only just found out pn was closing. Could have let me know. Moved to 1p mobile, £36/yr for mins and texts, don’t use data. Seems fine.