Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

@annapp Hi -  We will be contacting all Plusnet Mobile customers in time to let them know what is happening and the options available to them. This has started already and we will support all customers through any changes. Your Plusnet service will continue to work as normal until further notice advises otherwise.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

@Mav wrote:

Guess there may be many others.

If you want to stay on the EE bands I've seen that 1p mobile are doing a year of unlimited calls / texts with a bit of data for £36 - https://www.1pmobile.com/1year-calls-texts-data-SIM

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RoB5urf

I was thinking of jumping ship anyway. None of the networks has a reliable signal where I live so I need a package with wifi calling (which was never available on PN). The EE deals look OK to me, though some have suggested the prices will ramp up. I only skimmed the T&Cs but it looked like prices would only increase in line with inflation.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@RoB5urf 

" I only skimmed the T&Cs but it looked like prices would only increase in line with inflation."

A 30 day contract work both ways though doesn't it?

Yes, we are no longer tied in to long contracts - but by the same token, EE can change any aspect of the contract, including the price, and give only 30 days' notice.

Of course, just because they can does not mean that they will!

rockposer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've only just found out about this quite by chance when a friend mentioned it. Both my wife & son are on Plusnet Mobile and have had zero info sent to them regarding this. Very poor.

Stranger
Rising Star

@catphone Following a second billing / payment email since I left, I've just cancelled my DD 👍🏻
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Really sorry to see this @Stranger 

If you can PM me your mobile number and full name I can look into this for you 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@rockposer
It does beggar belief that Plusnet is unable /unwilling to communicate the end of service date for mobile. It's not like Plusnet doesn't know, staff and suppliers have to be informed. It's the poor customers who are last to know
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
rockposer
Rising Star

Having been told by my friend I went onto the Plusnet Mobile website and there it is emblazened across the homepage. Why on earth haven't customers been informed at the same time? As I said, very poor communication.

As it happens I moved from Plusnet Mobile to EE last year due in part to the fact that Plusnet never bothered to impliment short code texting, something I needed for my band etc.

celsoazevedo
Grafter

@rockposer They seem to be winding down the service, not doing a quick shut down. You can still use the service and change plans in your account.

As far as I'm aware, only two things have changed so far:

1. They've stopped accepting new customers.
  2. They offer EE plans to those who want to move right now.

They'll probably inform current customers when they have a final date or when that date is nearer. This can take months though. They had long term contracts, so I don't think they can just shut it down like that.

You can move your numbers right away, but there's no need to. Take your time, compare plans and prices, and then move it when you want. Or wait until they actually decide to shut down PN Mobile.

derbyjon
Dabbler

Another one here who found out by accident when visiting the Plusnet mobile homepage.

Shockingly poor from Plusnet I'm afraid. Amateur hour.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Playing "Devil's Advocate" here:

Does anybody know how many customers Plusnet Mobile has, (or at least had, before the closure originally became known)?

I'm just wondering if this lack of publicity is deliberate? Assuming that the final closure of PN Mobile is still some way off, if they say emailed all of their customers at the same time, it is reasonable to assume that most would be trying to call in to either move to EE or get a PAC code, all at the same time.

Could Plusnet Mobile's Call Centre(s) and systems cope with that amount of traffic?

By letting the news "leak" out at first, customers "in the know" would be the first to leave PN, then announce it on the website a while later to get another group of customers - those who check their online accounts regularly, and finally then email the remaining "stragglers" who either still haven't heard about the closure or who have yet to make a decision.

It may have upset a few customers who thought that they were not being kept informed, but as they are closing down, does PN Mobile really need to care what their customers think about them in the longer term?

Or, am I giving Plusnet too much credit for actually planning this scenario all along?  🤔

ashn
Dabbler

I believe it's deliberate in order to space things out a bit more, though that's possibly not a bad thing overall for customers, even if some are annoyed at 'being kept in the dark'. As long as all users are given a good amount of notice.

Some people have got emails, some people will have seen in a MSE newsletter, and I expect at some stage everyone left will get emails, text messages, and hopefully letters too. 

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@Mr_Paul - going on comments on other forums the PN Mobile customer services lines fell over almost as soon as the news broke -albeit relatively few were calling in . If everyone had been told at the same time ,there would have been total meltdown!

simonpplf
Grafter

My ee special deal is 8 quid compared to 5.76! Presumably they'll let me know my options when the contract runs out I very much doubt they are making a loss on it lol. Also we get the baked in %14 annual rise now which I avoided by switching from 11gb to5gb 😉