Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet Mobile - total shutdown

@simonpplf 

Are you sure that it is still £8 per month for your 5GB? Have you logged in to your EE account recently?

I moved from Plusnet Mobile to EE in early May, also on the 5GB package. I paid £8 for the first month, but was advised that this was being reduced to £6.

My EE account now shows me as paying £6, and that is what I paid on my latest bill.

***EDIT:   "Also we get the baked in %14 annual rise" - as it is a rolling 30 day contract, you don't have to accept that.

simonpplf
Grafter

yes it's £8, why would they expect me to volunteer for that ? MSE must be getting a kickback to get people to switch 

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@simonpplf 

"yes it's £8"

Odd, you might want to query that? I'm sure that others on this forum are also being charged £6 now?

"MSE must be getting a kickback to get people to switch"

I don't see how?

To take advantage of these "special offer" prices the transfer to EE must be done through Plusnet - not MSE's website. So how would MSE receive a "kickback"?

Dirkdiggler
Grafter

All is good so far for all four of us who switched to 1p mobile. Each ported with no issue. Can really notice the difference with the WiFi calling for previous blank spots in house and also VOLTE - certain areas before used to cut off on a call as it was a 3g blank spot now the calls continue as it's on LTE. It's more expensive than a lot of the virtual networks but for that you do get a faster network with it being on EE and it still comes in well under EE pricing. The mobile data page on your account even has an hour by hour breakdown of data used! Happy and would recommend if signal and speed are important to you as well as price.
pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Does anybody have an official or unofficial timeline of shutting down Plusnet service? I was tempted to switch to EE but just discovered they don't offer free EU roaming. Smarty looks good. But tbh I'd rather not change provider if I don't have to just yet.

simonpplf
Grafter

I suppose they are just not renewing the contracts ? So when it runs out you just decide what to do .

they were the only network that worked on the beach here but I've been using Lyca today by putting a hotspot phone on top of a stick 👍 or Asda is£5 but that's Vodafone too now.
celsoazevedo
Grafter

For those wanting to stay on EE's network, Lyca Mobile is moving from O2 to EE:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/06/confusion-as-uk-lyca-mobile-users-swap-from-o2-to-ee-m...

They're still moving customers and we don't know if they'll have speed caps and restricted access to things like wifi calling, but it might be a good alternative to Plusnet.

I wouldn't move right away, but they'll be cheaper than EE and perhaps more "user friendly" (since they have a better website and even have an app) than 1pMobile. Something to keep an eye on.

ashn
Dabbler

The fact Lyca now uses EE just makes me more bemused at the lack of good deals from EE for Plusnet customers.

I can't understand why EE chose to offer significantly worse deals to us than we were on, driving us off to other networks - and if we want to keep to the EE network, letting companies like Lyca offer us far better pricing than going direct with EE.

I imagine it's not going to be as good a service going through Lyca, but why wouldn't EE want to keep us as a direct customer instead. 

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Although there are some good "deals" around for Lyca, and from experience, I would be very wary of using them. Not because of poor network, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

In spite of that, and there are probably many satisfied customers, they might be worth trying as long as nothing goes wrong. The majority of poor reviews relate to customer service, or lack thereof.

They currently don't offer WiFi calling in the U.K. either.

Dirkdiggler
Grafter

I'm with 1p now but great if Lyca is offering another EE option. I've heard similar about their C.S. nothing first hand. My mother and father in law are with them and pay next to nothing.
simonpplf
Grafter

I've had a 1p 3gb per month sim  for 6 months it does take a while to find your way around the app and the website. Be careful because if you stop auto renew they will cancel your SIM and number I think that's the main thing, although I had a similar deal on the Lebara so that might have been the one I'm thinking of

Smith7
All Star
Fixes: 3

@simonpplf wrote:

I had a similar deal on the Lebara so that might have been the one I'm thinking of

Hi I changed from PN mobile to Lebara via a special deal with USwitch the best thing I have done 

The Vodafone signal is excellent  where we live and 21GB  ( I use the hotspot at the caravan that's why I have 21GB )  U/L mins U/L texts for £7.95  £3.18 for the first three months can't be bad   

I think Lebara is worth thing about   🤔🤔🤔

alan659882
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have left Plusnet after a long time (Original Life mobile customer) and moved to 1pMobile without any issues.

The final bill from Plusnet showed me £2.74 in credit and they sent me a cheque!

Well, I didn't expect that, not sure even how to pay a cheque in to my account these days.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@alan659882 

"they sent me a cheque"

Had you already cancelled the Direct Debit before this cheque was sent?

I migrated to EE in early May and had £2.40 owing on my Plusnet account, which they credited directly to my bank account at the beginning of this month. I then cancelled the DD.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@alan659882   do you have a banking app on your phone? If so you can use that to pay your cheque into your bank. Failing that, try your nearest post office.