cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Tethering

LostGil

No Tethering

I understand from looking at other forums PlusNet does not support tethering on Chinese imported phones such as mine Cubot Note S.

Can I just check if this is something PlusNet are planning on fixing? The tariff is very good but without tethering it's not worth it. Thanks.

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
brightonbelle
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: No Tethering

If you google plusnet tethering the very first result links to the Plusnet FAQ which makes it clear that you are allowed to tether.

LostGil

Term and conditions say I'm allowed but the network has been setup wrong and is blocking some phones. Anyway I followed some instructions I found online to bypass network tethering blocks and my phone is now working. Here are the instructions if it helps anyone.

1. Enable developer mode (Go to Settings -> About phone, and press on the build number multiple times until the developer mode is enabled).
  2. Click back – you should see a new ‘Developer options’ menu entry. Inside this option enable USB debugging
  3. On a computer, install ‘15 seconds ADB Installer’ – available from the XDA Developers forum. I selected ‘Yes’ for each install option.
  4. Connect the phone with a USB cable to the computer, ensuring you press ‘Allow’ to trust your connected computer from the phone
  5. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and navigate to the ‘adb’ folder directory (C:\adb if you installed system-wide – C:\%UserProfile%\adb if it was installed for the current user only). Type, for example: cd C:\adb\
  6. Start an adb shell by typing the following command: adb shell
  7. At the adb shell prompt, run this command: settings put global tether_dun_required 0
  8. Type exit, then disconnect your phone and reboot
ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

More information for this in this thread...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Tethering/td-p/1406005

Unfortunately it requires the phone to be rooted and also requires sideloading an APK AP file.

entdgc
Hooked

Just to point out this is not just for chinese phones. My Samsung Galaxy S4 (an oldie but a goodie!) does not work! Never been brave enough to root it but might be forced to if that is the only fix. Funnily enough the sales team never mentioned this when they wanted to sign me up "Tethering sir? Yes sir - no problem!"

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

You’re the first one I’ve heard that has this problem with main stream UK phone and I made my assumption that it only effects Chinese phones comes from my testing my sim in 4 Androids, Moto G4 2gen, Moto E 2 gen and a Huawei Y550 and in these UK marketed phones it worked out of the box but with my Chinese Doogee it was no go.

I assume the fix is the same but have no idea of what’s causing this issue.

There are tether fixers in the App store that don’t require root but whether they work or not I don’t know.

bin
Aspiring Pro

I must admit I've not had any issue with tethering my HTC 510 on PN Mobile - likewise Samsung Galaxy A3.

@entdgc I wonder if the issue with your S4 could relate to how it started life? For example both my phones (his and hers) are factory unlocked from new. Now, if I got a phone for a locked supplier that did not provide tethering then possibly that would prevent it even if it moved to a network that does allow it - just thinking about supplier custom ROMS - but clutching at straws a bit.

Have you tried both Wifi Hotspot and USB cable tethering?

entdgc
Hooked

Have you tried both Wifi Hotspot and USB cable tethering?

I wonder if the issue with your S4 could relate to how it started life? 

You may have a point. My S4 was originally locked to Three - but tethering was allowed - it was unlocked by Three before I left but there may be a lingering wiff of Three there! I would try rooting and a custom ROM but it is my everyday phone and don't want to brick it for the occasional time I need to tether. I might just get a SIM card adapter for my iPad in the short term.

I have tried Wifi and Bluetooth but not usb - will give that a go sometime.

Thanks for the suggestions

Dave

szaman81
Grafter

You should get rid of those Chinese dodgy phones they are not safe. That is why tethering is not supported on those phones cannot handle the pressure and phone may explode.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

First of this data problem is a tethering problem not a network data problem because data works on all Chinese phones so are you saying Mr Xi Jinping only listens to our phones while we tether and do you believe that all phones are secure because if GCHQ, CIA and worst still the Russians really wanted to know what baked bean brand I bought in Tesco’s this week I’m sure they could hack any phone I have to find out such important information.

So in what way do you think there not safe?, I know it’s because I’ve only paid £80 for my Chinese made phone but you may have paid £650 for a Chinese made Apple iPhone so it’s perfectly safe.

Did you know that most, if not all of the network equipment that delivers the mobile signal to your phone is Chinese, do a search for Hauwei mobile phone equipment and yes you will find the American are concerned too. So with the Chinese delivering your data to your phone they have a perfect opportunity for Man in the Middle attacks.

The only downside to buying cheap Chinese phones is the adware that comes with them much the same as the adware that comes with PAYG phones bought from UK networks and very much like the invisible adware tracking software that Google and Apple put in their OS phone software. At least with most cheap phones you can flash a new operating system anytime you like but with top of the range you have to put up with what they think you should have not what you think you should have.

That said a good Firewall app is always a good thing no matter where your phone comes from at least then you know who’s sifting your information if you’re a little paranoid, but most of the time looking at my firewall’s log it’s just Google looking for the best deal on baked beans.

CheesyGrin

szaman81
Grafter

You have spent a lot of time writing this haven't you

Galaxys7

Worked for me, thanks.

Mwalsh27f

Test message
ChrisAtBristol